Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Br Joseph and forum members: What are the 5 books that influenced you most?

Offline Zack

• View Profile
Hello Br Jospeh and Forum Members,

I would love to know, besides the study tools that you use, what are the books that have influenced you most that created the framework and understanding that is presented in the articles on this website, including non-Muslim books?

Daniel

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
This is very high profile question. Basically The Noble Quran is the basis of discussions on this Forum.This very wide range question therefore I doubt you may get right answer. Please keep I'm mind only Quran is is the basic source.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Zack

• View Profile
This is very high profile question. Basically The Noble Quran is the basis of discussions on this Forum.This very wide range question therefore I doubt you may get right answer. Please keep I'm mind only Quran is is the basic source.

I am sure the moderators on this forum, as people who have a Qur'an centric approach, have a very large library and have books that have been very influential upon their mindsets.  :)  It would seem to me that people have different views on this forum on what it means to be Qur'an centric. There are numerous occurrences on this site where it says "According to modern scholarship..... " This reflects broad reading.

OK, so as for myself, it has helped reading Jewish, Christian and Islamic historians on the period prior and up to the Qur'an revelation. Sometimes these books have had fantastic content, yet terrible conclusions and application. As far as Jewish:
a) Hugh Schonfield is very good.... When reading the Qur'an this helps understand the tensions between the Prophet and the Jews with the historical separation between Jews, "Hawariyuun" / Nazarenes which are closely linked to Islam, and Christianity..
b) The Jesus Wars by Philip Jenkins and "When Jesus becomes God" gives a good background to a number of passages in the Qur'an, as well as the separation of the Middle East Church and their theology which would have existed in the 6th Century.
c) There are a number of books which explain the Tauhid community of faith around Mecca which are brilliant, but the authors treat these groups as cults because of being outside of orthodox Christianity.

Anyway for me the greater the historical framework of the 7th century, the greater the help it is to a Qur'an centric approach. If others would prefer not to share their most influential books for various reasons, thats no problems

Wasalam
Daniel

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Bro There is no need for Muslims to read history books etc. they have got Allah's Book Noble Quran full of wisdom & guidance. Why should we other books?

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
Salaam .. I'm not sure about others but I know that br. Joseph provides his areas of interest / research below:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/about%20the%20author%20FM.htm

I can only imagine what his references will be or how wide they will be ...quite broad as a research scholar I'm sure... however as far as I am concerned, i try to read the qur'an and study it and then the bible where the qur'an speaks of stories in Biblical terms...After all, the qur'an doesn't do away with the Bible, but expects you to know about it. A large part of the qu'ran is dedicated to biblical stories. However law - shariah or what I use to judge - then its the qur'an for sure. Saba  :) 8)

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Salam sister Saba, I dont understand as to why you should read The Boble inasmuch it is corrupted as per Quran.Even the stories narrated therein also be corrupted. AS per Muslim mosque friend who believes Quran does not appear to have followed Taurah.