Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Perfect and Flawless Quran

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Perfect and Flawless Quran
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
Asalamu Alykum

As I read today what Br. Joseph Islam replied to a sister about salat I was stunned at how the deeper the Quran is studied the more of its perfectness and light is illuminated. It struck me today.

Because I have no knowledge or a verse providing rakaat numbers (2,4,4,3,4). So if there is no rakaat numbers in Qur'an, what does the verse in the qur'an with regards to shortening prayer upon fear or danger mean? Because there is no qur'anic verse stating the length of the prayer .... correct? ... so how to shorten it, i don't know the length of it in the first place? Or does it mean, if you are in danger or fear, you are pardoned from prayer?  i'm confused in this aspect. In a state of danger or fear, it is left to the individual / congregation to make an appropriate judgment as to how short a prayer should be (4:101) and what form (4:103; 2:238-239) one needs to establish keeping in view the extent of fear /danger they are under. The Quran’s silence arguably intentionally provides a cue for sensible consideration and allows its silence to cater for the unique circumstances of any given situation. Every situation is arguably different.

However, the focus is clearly not to abandon worship, but to curtail normal form and duration (whatever that may be) in difficult circumstances. Otherwise, the Quran could have provided distinctive expressions such as ‘half’ or ‘quarter’ or even ‘a third’ whilst referring to the prayer with the implication that there was a ‘set’ form (with specific rakats) for normal prayer. This is clearly not the case. The Quran merely says ‘taqsuru - qasara ’ (shorten) which is left open to interpretation given the difficulty of the situation. It is noteworthy that expressions such as ‘half’, (nisf) ‘third’ (thulth) and ‘two-thirds’ (thuluthayi) are used by the Quran to denote durations of the night even in the case of worship. (73:20). Hence the Quran is not averse from using such expressions if it needs to.

In some situations it may only be appropriate to read one rakat, sitting down. In another, one may be able to worship a little longer, adding sparingly to their rakats. Sometimes, the situation is so dire, that one is left with the ability to only establish a very rudimentary form of worship or even resort to praying in the mind and to re-establish normal form when danger / difficulty has passed. Every situation is arguably different. Please see the article below of a real life experience that I encountered.

I have bolded the words

Masha'Allah brother. I found this to be put very well. Jazak Allah Khair. Thanks for sharing your efforts.

I ask myself that "if" the Quran did say for example half’, (nisf) ‘third’ (thulth) and ‘two-thirds’ (thuluthayi) in the context of shortening prayers, then one is also expected to find the amount of rukahs in the Quran just because of a single word used differently. And maybe has the right to ask about the amount prescribed. Which is not the case.

Another example that comes to mind is the precision and accuracy of the punishment prescribed for fornicators. And how it proves that no stoning is prescribed. If one takes the 2 verses below

004:025 (Part)
"...So marry them with the permission of their family, and give them their bridal due, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not those that commit immorality, nor those that take secret lovers. Then when they are married, if they commit lewdness / adultery (Arabic: Bifahishatin), their punishment is half that of a free women..."

Yusuf Ali
The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication(WaZaniyatu wazani),- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

Note another translation how it refers to only the single or unmarried. But using verse 4:25 one sees the consistencies and flawless Verses.

Sahih International
The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty of sexual intercourse - lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allah , if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.

Some Ayat worth pondering over Subhan'Allah Glory be to God

Pickthall
Will they not then ponder on the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much incongruity.
Yusuf Ali
Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy.

Yusuf Ali
Allah has revealed (from time to time) the most beautiful Message in the form of a Book, consistent with itself, (yet) repeating (its teaching in various aspects): the skins of those who fear their Lord tremble thereat; then their skins and their hearts do soften to the celebration of Allah's praises. Such is the guidance of Allah: He guides therewith whom He pleases, but such as Allah leaves to stray, can have none to guide.

I thought I share this as it my heart did soften Alhamdulila.

Salam