Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 39:10 - Prophet worshippers/slaves - confused

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
39:10 - Prophet worshippers/slaves - confused
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
As-salaamu 'alaykum everyone!

Thank you for answering my questions and I've more to ask ;D

I'm really, really and really confused about these verses:

39:10 - Say:"You my worshippers/slaves those who believed, fear and obey your Lord, to those who did good in this the present world (is) a goodness/beauty, and God's earth/Planet Earth/land (is) spread/abundant , truly the patient are fulfilled/completed their reward without (an) account/calculation."

39:53 -  Say: "You my worshippers/slaves those who neglected/ignored on themselves, do not despair from God's mercy, that truly God forgives the crimes all/all together, that truly He is the forgiving, the merciful."

Allah commanded the Prophet (pbuh) to 'say' - But, the verses does not make any sense, why will Allah command the Prophet to say 'my worshippers/slaves? Maybe these verses are wrongly translated?

Wa'salaam!

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Re: 39:10 - Prophet worshippers/slaves - confused
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:04:56 AM »
wa alaykum al salam,

Say:"You my worshippers/slaves

This verse indicates what GOD is saying through the prophet. What I mean is it's God saying You my worshippers/slaves. Not the prophet. The prophet was told to say/deliver the direct words of God.

So If you read the verses again with this in mind, it will make sense.

Peace.

Offline Duster

• View Profile
Re: 39:10 - Prophet worshippers/slaves - confused
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Shalom / peace ..I agree with bro Ahmad>>>>...I also found the following from the following site which talks about Neal Robinson's view on Iltifat>>>>

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Text/Grammar/robinson.html

Now let us examine three ayahs which begin with the singular imperative 'Say', but which include words spoken by God in the first person:

Say, 'It the sea were ink [for writing] the words of my Lord, surely the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were completed, even if We brought another like it to replenish it' (18:109).

Say, 'If there were on the earth angels walking about in peace and security, We would certainly have sent down for them from the sky an angel as a messenger' (17:95).

Say, 'O My servants who have transgressed against themselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives sins He is the All-forgiving, All-merciful' (39:53).

In the first of these, a surprise effect is achieved by the sudden shift to the first person plural. God Himself intervenes in all His majesty to utter fresh words, thereby showing that (as stated) His words will never be complete. In the second, the intervention is again in the first person plural, but it coincides with a shift to the third person plural 'them' to refer to the addressees. Thus, at the moment when God intervenes to express His power and majesty, He also distances Himself from the unbelievers in order to humiliate them. The third ayah is more puzzling because the imperative 'Say' is immediately followed by God's speech in the first person singular. Although this strains the normal rules of syntax, it establishes intimate communication between God and the believers, thus making them more receptive to the cognitive element of the message which is to follow.

I also remember bro Joseph's comments talking about the Quran not based on later grammarian rules but the other way around>>>... se quote below:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/grammatical%20errors%20in%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm

Grammatical Classical Arabic, as a literary academic genre, was a late development by the grammarians of the second century AH/8th century CE (over 100 years after the death of the Prophet). The rules of grammar et al were themselves largely based on the Quranic Arabic as the primary language of the Arabs par excellence. Other later sources were also used.

Therefore, to assert grammatical errors in the Quran when what we know today of the classical language has been formulated largely from the Quran is quite simply a fantastic, baseless claim.