Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Beating Wives

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Beating Wives
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
Dear Joseph,

I was going through your article - BEATING WIFE and also  happened to go through several verses (having darb reference with different meaning) .  But  I feel " BEAT" is the only translation for DARB verb in verse 4:34 - Am I correct ? or is there are other verse/s , which has used DARB to mean BEAT. 

I also noted BEATING/WHIPPING has been used 24:2 / 24:4 with regard to Adultery.  I felt if you are punishing someone , you dont joke of (lightly beating) as translated in 4:34 but whipping, hence the word would have been FAJILDUHUM !!!! 

Correct me wherever possible.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Beating Wives
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:00:05 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Response to Question 1

The word 'Idhribo hunn(a)' has at its core the imperative verb 'idhrib'.

We have no other similar term in the Quran of the nature 'idhrib (verb) + plural pronoun" which we can directly compare.

Other uses of the verb 'idhrib' have been used to mean strike such 2:60, 2:73, 26:63, 38:44 or even 36:13 (in the context of a similitude).

What lies at the core of this debate from an Arabic grammar point of view is that for 'idhrib' to mean 'to turn away or shun', a preposition 'an' is expected.

As there is no preposition 'an' in 'idhribo hunn(a)' hence it is usually argued that this must be rendered as 'beat'.

However, from classical authorities (as we have no other occurrence of such a term in the Quran), the preposition 'an' is not always necessary. Therefore, it can be argued that idhribo-hunn(a) can mean to turn away.

Also there are other verses which make such a rendering of 'beat' difficult to accept theologically when much guidance has been imparted with regards marriage institutions by the Quran. God mentions about sukoon (tranquillity), mawddatan (love) and rahma (mercy) - 30:21 between partners, compassion, spouses being each others libaas (garments) - 2:187 and that even in the complex areas of divorce that women should not be injured or harmed in any way (diraar) 2:231. If men are guilty of the same transgression of 'nushuz' (rebellion / ill conduct) then they are not 'beaten' in the same way (4:128). Beating of women in 4:34 for the same transgression would hardly be tantamount to equality and justice. Also an open rendition of 'beat' leaves the matter completely at the whims of an already aggressed male to punish another adult female completely subjectively. Such a directive would only be open to abuse.

From a psychological perspective, how beating a wife into submission is ever going to earn respect or stabilise an already turbulent relationship is highly questionable.

So Quranic verses must be seen in light of other verses which deal with marriage institutions. Then we also have the Arabic grammar to consider which can be argued for.

Response to Question 2

In my humble opinion, you are absolutely correct. Once 'idhrib' in 4:34 is taken to mean 'strike' then there is no lightness in the term.

Idhrib then means 'strike' and the 'lightly' in brackets would be misleading and such a rendering would be based on Islamic secondary sources.  However, my contention is with the word 'idhrib' being translated as 'strike' in the first place based on the Quran's guidance with marriage institutions and keeping in view the Arabic grammar as understood by grammarians.

Also the word 'fajilduhum', or the imperative form 'ijlid' does mean to flog or scourge. It still has the inference of some severity albeit in my opinion, not the same as 'beat' which could mean anything. One man's beating would be rather different from another's.

I hope this helps.

Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell