Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Fasting on the Day of Ashura

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Fasting on the Day of Ashura
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
Salaam dear brother Joseph.

I hope this finds you keeping well. I would like to know what the Quran has to say about the day of Ashura. I think the Jews were asked to commemorate that day in memory of the Red Sea parting and they being saved from Pharaoh. Kindly shed some light. My husband is fasting. I know that there is no need to fast on these days but would it be wrong if a person decides to do so?

[A sister in faith]

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Fasting on the Day of Ashura
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Salamun Alaikum Sister,

There is no prescription in the Quran to fast on such a day or for the commemoration of any event. These are all additional concepts introduced into the name of religion for which the Quran gives no authority. The Quran clearly informs believers that fasting has been prescribed in the month of Ramadan (2:185). Furthermore, some expiations may also involve fasting (2:196; 4:92; 5:89; 5:95; 58:4). However, any fasts done for the sake of God should be encouraged (19:26) but this should not be considered as 'prescriptive' (obligatory).

I hope this helps,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell