Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Understanding 66:4

Offline Student

• View Profile
Understanding 66:4
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:48:53 AM »
Salaamun Alaykum,

Does anyone know if Sir Joseph Islam discussed/elaborate 66:4, my search failed to find relevant discussion although I found couple of threads on previous ayah 66:3 but nothing on 66:4.

[Say, O Prophet:] "Would that you two turn unto God in repentance, for the hearts of both of you have swerved [from what is right]! And if you uphold each other against him [who is God's message-bearer, know that] God Himself is his Protector, and [that,] therefore, Gabriel, and all the righteous among the believers and all the [other] angels will come to his aid."

My question in attempting to grasp the full picture/context of the discussion - why the wives of the Prophet (pbut) were sternly warned/reminded with reinforcement and support by Allah swt, Jibrael AS, Believers and Angels - all together (unimaginable power pack) against just two naturally/physically weak women for seemingly petty and domestic issue?

Thanks,
~ Student

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: Understanding 66:4
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »
Because it's not just a "petty domestic issue". The Prophet's household was supposed to be a model of righteousness for the whole community to follow. Therefore, seemingly small domestic issues could actually cause major strife in the community.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:30:56 AM »
Traditional narrations say that it has to do with the Prophet's wife Zainab and a jar of honey, or something along those lines. I think the principle, as Wanderer said, is that his household was supposed to be a perfect model and they were upsetting it.

66:2 makes a reference to the "dissolution of oaths," indicating that an oath had been lawfully broken but two of his wives opposed it. I'm not sure what the entire context is.
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
From what I understand, the asbab al nazul on this surah is sprawling and heavily contradictory. I am not sure about the story you mentioned in particular, but I could be wrong.
66:1-2 states that the Prophet had attempted to ban lawful dissolution of oaths in order to please his wives, and was subsequently reprimanded by God.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:39:21 AM »
Thanks Wanderer, although I had this general concept of "model" for Ummah (both the Prophet pbuh and his entire household) the warning appears disproportionate w.r.t stated issue. So, there must be some underlying wisdom or nuance that I'm missing. Otherwise, there are other places in the Quran where Prophet pbuh himself and mothers of believers were warned double the punishment etc. Here's it's not double or similar....hope to hear from others too if they have different insight.
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
I personally don't see anything "disproportionate", or even a "threat" so to speak. The wives were simply informed of a fact, that God and the angels were on the side of the prophet, and that they better stop causing trouble in the community and greatly hurting the Prophet.
Regards
wanderer