Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Intake of medicines (gelatin capsules)

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
Intake of medicines (gelatin capsules)
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
Salam All,

I wanted to know...whether we are allowed to intake gelatin tablets...as i am 8 months pregnant...my doctors had advised me to take iron and calcium tablets...I was not sure that..the tablets we take contains gelatin...today...when i bought my monthly tablets...i checked...and it was written..."soft gelatin capsule"..which means it does contain gelatin...as we are all aware that...gelatin is made from different animals...we dont know what all animals...In this case...m confused...can we take these tablets?...as we do not have any other option too...coz...all other tablets are also made from gelatin...we do not know whether the animals are cut according to our Islamic laws or not..or not even sure what animals are being used...m just confused...can anyone please clear it...are we allowed to take these medicines?...i dont want to do it intentionally..its just...we dont have any option...Kindly clear...plz...

Regards,
Anjum...

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
Re: Intake of medicines (gelatin capsules)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:27:17 AM »
Hi, if it's for medicine it's probably allowed. 
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline Iman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:40 AM »
I found a link foru that mr joseph had written . I hope it answers ur question

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.0

Offline Iman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »

Hello dearest let me first congratulate you on ur coming baby in shaa Allah...i was wondering are gelatenous casules the only form of the medicine available? Maybe u can find an alternative.

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:27 PM »
Salam Amira...

Thank you very much for your reply...mmm...i thought so...but can you show any verses supporting it please...that is why m confused...

Thanks and regards,
Anjum

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Salam Brother Iman,

Thank you very much for your wishes and reply...:)...I had gone through the link which you have provided...but its stating only about the forbidden animal..that is pig..no other explanation is given like...non-halal animal or something...so m confused.

And yes brother...i have no other options...coz...medicines are made from gelatin capsules...even if i go for the private medicines..its also made of gelatin...thats the prob...:(...

Thanks and regards,
Anjum

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:27:04 AM »
Salaam Anjum,

Many congratulations  :) Regarding the iron and calcium tablets, I am surprised that they are not options available that are suitable for vegetarians. In the U.K it is easy to find gelatin free tablets.

As you only have 1 month left, it may be better to try to get iron and calcium directly from your food instead.

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Salam Sister Truth Seeker..

Thank you very much for your wishes...:)...Yup sis..its not easily available in India...gelatin free tablets...:(...this is the main problem here...Actually...i have two months left...my due is on 2nd feb 2017...and people say that...I need to take iron and calcium during this period as the baby needs it very much...even though I m eating...i m not sure whether the baby is getting enough energy or strength...that is why doctors have prescribed these iron and calcium tablets...in this case...what should i do sis?...should i continue to eat the tablets?..m doing a sin?...coz of no choice...can you please clear it..

Thanks and regards,
Anjum