Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is God Omnipresent ?

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Is God Omnipresent ?
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »
As-Salam Alaykum,

I thought this issue would be straight forward, however, it turned out not to be. (For me at least). Anyway my question is: According to the Quran is God omnipresent ? I do not mean in terms of knowledge. There is no disagreement about God being All knowing. What I mean is, God's location. Is God present everywhere ? Or is he present in a specific location ? . From what I've read the traditional position differs. Some say that God cannot be contained in time and space therefore God has no location. Others have said that God exists on top of the seven heavens but he's power encompasses everything. Furthermore the verses below seem to advance two different concepts (at first sight, however deeper analysis is needed):

[67:16] Do ye feel secure that He Who is in heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by the earth when it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
[67:17] Or do ye feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not send against you a violent tornado (with showers of stones), so that ye shall know how (terrible) was My warning?

(God is located the heavens)

[30:11] It is Allah Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats it; then shall ye be brought back to Him.

(If we are going to be brought back to God, does this mean that GOD is located somewhere specific away from us now ?)

[2:115] To Allah belong the east and the West: Whithersoever ye turn, there is the presence of Allah. For Allah is all-Pervading, all-Knowing.

[6:3] And He is Allah in the heavens and on earth. He knoweth what ye hide, and what ye reveal, and He knoweth the (recompense) which ye earn (by your deeds).

[57:4] He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and is moreover firmly established on the Throne (of Authority). He knows what enters within the earth and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And Allah sees well all that ye do.

(These verses imply that God is present everywhere)

So What are your thoughts ? How can we reconcile the verses ?

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: Is God Omnipresent ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
What you are saying right now is rooted in a belief that God is some sort of tangible being, which is simply incorrect from an Islamic perspective. I feel that if you take this into consideration, any confusion you feel will disappear.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »
Dear Brother Wanderer,

I am aware that God is not a tangible being as per the following verse:

[42:11] (part) ... there is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the One that hears and sees (all things).

However, this does not automatically solve the issue. Even if we acknowledge that God is not a tangible being. This does not mean that he can't be omnipresent or present in a certain location.

Regards,

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »
If God is not a tangible object or being, how can he be present in one location? How can he be located anywhere?
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 06:09:55 AM »
Salam all

Personally brother Ahmad, from the ayat you've quoted above, not a single one implies that Allah swt is located in a physical volume.

For 67:16-17, when you read on to 18... (especially 18) Allah swt talks about people who denied His signs/messengers etc. So the part in 16th ayah you mentioned (Allah swt knows best) is some sort of a "reply" to deniers in their own expression. Maybe they addressed Allah (swt) like "The one in the sky" so it is possible that Allah swt replied them and asked a question to them with this adscription they used. It could also be a metaphorical usage of these words to show His sovereignty, exaltedness (not necessarily a physical location).

For 30:11 it doesn't imply a place, location, Allah swt simply says that we are to return to Him. When i say:  "I know she will come back to me soon!" do i imply a location ?

For 2:115 is metaphorical, He sees you, hears you, knows what you do , what you feel, wherever you go...

For 6:3 please read the sentence carefully: It's not "Allah is in the heavens and the earth" it is " He is Allah in the heavens and the earth". They are totally different. He is the One and Only God, Allah, for all beings in the heavens and the earth.

For 57:4 it's just another way of saying "He is well aware of you wherever you are". Just like 50:16:

"And We have already created man and know what his soul whispers to him, and We are closer to him than [his] jugular vein" (50:16)." Such a wonderful statement subhanAllah. Obviously that doesn't mean He is right behind our jugular vein :) He expresses His closeness, His connection to our souls.

Allah swt knows best and may He guide us if we are wrong in our thoughts and actions.

Take care. Salam.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:51 AM »
Thank you Ilker and Wanderer for your replies.(Sorry for the late response) Both of you seem to imply that God has no location, or the question of God's location is invalid. I will think about that. But tell me what do you think of the following:

God is not located in a physical space, as no physical space can contain GOD.
God is not a tangible being, there is nothing like him.
God Is not part of his creation.
Rather God is unlimited and located beyond his creation.

I feel this concept is closer to the Quranic verses. What do you think ?

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »
Thank you Ilker and Wanderer for your replies.(Sorry for the late response) Both of you seem to imply that God has no location, or the question of God's location is invalid. I will think about that. But tell me what do you think of the following:

God is not located in a physical space, as no physical space can contain GOD.
God is not a tangible being, there is nothing like him.
God Is not part of his creation.
Rather God is unlimited and located beyond his creation.

I feel this concept is closer to the Quranic verses. What do you think ?

Salam.

Alhamdulillah. I agree and Allah (swt) knows best.

Stay safe inshaAllah.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
Dear Ilker,

Thank you for your response  :)