Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Mentioning the Prophet's Name in Azaan Problematic?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is Mentioning the Prophet's Name in Azaan Problematic?
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:37:12 PM »
Asalaamu Alaikum.

Hello, I hope you are well.

I'm sorry if there is a better place to ask you questions and I don't want to take up your time unnecessarily. I haven't been able to find any of your specific views on the subject below.

I have been practicing Islam for almost 1 year now. The Religion is so very good for me.  Now and again I refer to your work for some clarification and interpretation on certain topics I feel unsure about.

One thing that has been bothering me for a while is the azaan/call to prayer.

In your opinion do you believe it is correct and right for Muhammad's name to be mentioned?

I do not know whether the azaan has changed since the days of the Revelation.

I know from the Quran that other names other than God's name shouldn't be mentioned in places of worship. Although I can understand why in this case the Prophet's name (pbuh) is mentioned. Although I wonder if all the Prophets and messengers name's should therefore also be mentioned!

Sometimes I feel quite troubled about what is right and fitting.

Do you have any view on this subject that may help me?

Thank you and God Bless,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Mentioning the Prophet's Name in Azaan Problematic?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam

The objective of the call is to signify the onset of a prayer routine. As long as the statement is 'true', I don't see a problem with this. This is no different from making use of any prophetic name and calling him the messenger of God in a call to prayer.

I note 2 underlying concerns from your question:

1. Making use of another name with God in spaces of worship

This is arguably pertaining to 'false deities', statements that are not true or unwarranted. There are verses in the Quran that clearly state that along with Allah (as a Supreme God), there had been common belief of 'supporting' deities.

“If indeed you ask them who is it that created the Heavens and the Earth, they would be sure to say, "Allah". Say: "Then do you see what you invoke besides Allah? Can they, if Allah wills some penalty for me, remove His penalty? Or if He wills some grace for me, can they keep back his grace?" Say: "Sufficient is Allah for me! In Him do the trusting put their trust"”

2. Using the messenger’s name so as to imply a distinction between the messengers:

If this is the intention of the caller to prayer (muezzin), then this is incorrect. However, if this is simply a profession of truth and not intended to show distinction, then I see no problem in this.

Even though the practices may have altered, I do not believe that the early believers in the company of the Prophet would have ever wanted any distinctions to be drawn between him and other messengers as the Prophet himself would have arguably curtailed that view with clear narratives from the Quran.

As to if today's call to prayer is exactly the same as or even similar to the one at the Prophetic time, I would incline to agree that it is as something that finds its provenance/mention in the Quran would have arguably continued en masse as a practice and stabilised.

This is different from the Ahadith canons which were arguably not inked until centuries after the death of the Prophet.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell