Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Polygyny a Religious Sanction?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is Polygyny a Religious Sanction?
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
Dear Joseph,

I agree that there is provision of polygyny is Islam as evidenced in Quran but it is more towards circumstance arising. The Quran being strongly PRO-ORPHANS (4:10, 107:2), it was advised to marry multiples of widows/divorcees to support as social cause and not as general rule. (4:3). 

And man will not be able to justice with more than one wife, however he tries (4:129) i.e jealousy between Prophet Abraham's wives (Sarah/Hajar).   

Noting that prophet Muhammad had multiple wives but all of them except one were either widows or divorces.  It was more as SOCIAL CAUSE than lust/power/beauty. Hence to my perception Polygyny should not be applied as religious sanction but social cause .

Such cause was also applied in Hindu culture/mytheology where Darupadi (of Mahabharatha) had five husbands at a time or still Polyandry  being applied to some extent  in Masai and Todai people. To the best of my understanding Polygamy  cannot be Quranic injunctions.

As Wealth/Children are prime sources of boasting/ego (which is tantamount to idolatry) Accumulation of wealth with  sadaqa/charity will serve religious as well social cause similarly marrying second wife with coaxing  first wife (for overall family cause) will do Justice as ordained.

Please correct me if my above understanding is flawed.

Best Regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Polygyny a Religious Sanction?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

You mention:

"...it was advised to marry multiples of widows/divorcees to support as social cause and not as general rule. (4:3)."
"...jealousy between Prophet Abraham's wives (Sarah/Hajar)"   
"Noting that prophet Muhammad had multiple wives but all of them except one were either widows or divorces.  It was more as SOCIAL CAUSE than lust/power/beauty".

I am not sure that I can support the above views as they are not based on the Quranic text. They are interpolations not supported by the Quran and are based on Islamic secondary sources. Indeed, the verse you mention (4:3) is dealing with orphans but there is nothing explicit in the verse which suggests that polygyny (not polygamy) is only for orphan related matters. This remains a non-quranic interpolation.

For example, you say:

"Noting that prophet Muhammad had multiple wives but all of them except one were either widows or divorces. It was more as SOCIAL CAUSE than lust/power/beauty. Hence to my perception Polygyny should not be applied as religious sanction but social cause."

There is no evidence of this in the Quran. In fact, there is not one wife of the Prophet that is mentioned by name in the Quran. How do we know that they were widows / divorcees (apart from possibly the matter with Zayd 33:37), or how do we know that the Prophet did not marry because he may have found a woman beautiful? The Quran clearly talks about the Prophet finding women beautiful with a hint that he wanted them for marriage.

Note the verse:

033:052
"It is not lawful for you (to marry more) women after this, nor to change them for (other) wives, even though their beauty attract thee..."

The more pertinent question here is why is the Prophet curtailing his marriages and why is their acknowledgement in the text that the Prophet was attracted by beauty? This is clear internal evidence that the Quran was being narrated by a higher authority and speaks volumes of its authenticity. No other individual would impose such a restriction on themselves without imposing it on other believers first.

I have a related article to share with you which may be of interest. Please do read it with an open mind. Our intention is only to understand God's verses in the best way we can. The Quran neither encourages nor discourages multiple marriages. Hopefully the article will make this clear InshAllah.

MARRYING FOUR WIVES IN ISLAM
http://quransmessage.com/articles/four%20wives%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell