Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Halal food only requires God's name before eating?

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Halal food only requires God's name before eating?
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »
Salaam
I have read Joseph islam halal food section and although it is quite clear I have a couple of questions.

1) There are same claims that all food (apart from what is prohibited) can be eaten once God's name is mentioned over it. In the case of meat only grazing livestock, hunting dog kills etc.  Is this true?

2) Animals slaughtered that which over God's name has NOT BEEN mentioend. Is this a requirement whilst slaughtering or before eating or both?

3) Is "ziba" a requirement and if so then what is it?

Kind regards jzk

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Re: Halal food only requires God's name before eating?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Salaam all

I found this person who claims slaughtering is only for hajj. Please have a read and critique.

http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/halal_meat_(P1156).html

Peace and regards

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
Salaam all

Then I found brother Joseph's thread which cleared it up.

" Furthermore, mentioning the name of God before the animal is sacrificed is a requirement mentioned in the Quran. This can also be attested from the following verse which has nothing to do with sacrificial animals.

“They ask you what is lawful to them Say: lawful to you are (all) things good and pure: and what you have taught your trained hunting dogs in the manner directed to you by God: eat what they catch for you, but pronounce the name of God over it: and fear God; for God is swift in taking account”

The verse is clear that one is to pronounce the name of God over the food that is caught. It can be argued that this verse simply requires one to pronounce the name of God before eating the animal and not during slaughter. However, as carrion (dead meat) is forbidden, the hunting animal will be trained to bring the prey alive or in a state where it can be made lawful to eat (by slaughtering it in a lawful manner). It is in this context that the pronouncement of God’s name is being mentioned which is being posited as a requirement for slaughter."

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »
Salaam all
5.5 says "food of the people of the book is permissible to you and your food permissible for them"

If people of the book do not slaughter animals by mentioning God's name over it does that imply mentioning God's name while slaughtering is not a requirement OR people of the book did mention God's name but do not anymore?

Kind regards jzk