Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Mutawwatir are Five Daily Prayers

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Mutawwatir are Five Daily Prayers
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »
Five Daily Prsyers are Mutawwatir act of Muslims right from the  period of Prophet Mohammad which are being perfomed in Masjidil Haram in  Mecca, Masjide Nabawi in Madina & in Masaajid all over the world.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
Re: Mutawwatir are Five Daily Prayers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »
Aslamaolaikum brother Sardar,

I do not think that the earliest Muslim's could have got it so wrong and introduced five prayers if there was no support in the Quran. Prayers seem to have been practiced in masses from the time of the Prophet. So I completely agree with you. But is Mutwatir not usually referred to Hadith? Saba.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
Salamun Alaikum sister Saba,

Mutawwatir is simply a description of transmission and refers to a continuous mass testimony by so many individuals directly from source that it is inconceivable / highly unlikely that they could have come to be agreed upon a falsehood with what they testified from the primary source.

There are many practices such as 'prayer' which would arguably suggest a mutawwatir continuous transmission en masse, from one generation to another from the time of the Prophet.

Similarly, a narration to have a 'mutawwatir' status, it would need to be passed on by so many narrators directly from source that it would be inconceivable / beyond reasonable doubt that they could have come to be agreed upon a falsehood with regards the information they collected.

Unknown to many Muslims, the Hadith compilations are largely 'Ahad' transmissions and not mutawwatir.

In one of my articles, I part with the following sentiments:

'The vast majority of the Ahadith corpus is based on 'khabar-e-wahid' which merely provides a single source of evidence. So in effect, what one originator narrates, no other narrator passes on the same hadith. It is argued whether there exist any 'Khabar-tawwatur' (multiple sources of hadith) and if so, what they actually are. This single source of evidence which qualifies the vast Ahadith reports which make up the corpus should be noted in the light of the Quran which even for basic debt transactions, demands for at least two witnesses (2:282).'

http://quransmessage.com/articles/hadith%20and%20sunna%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps, God willing,

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
Aslamaolaikum brother Joseph.

Thank you so much for the clarification. Very informative indeed.  8) Saba.