Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Question derived from hadith- may there not be another messenger ? For Joseph

Offline nalia96

• View Profile
Assalamualaikum,

It does appear from the Quran that another messenger can appear and that is a true possibility.
However, my only doubt is because of this hadith which is shown in in sunnah.com- a site of Hadith compilations which show the characteristics of a certain Hadith i.e. da-'if or sahih, etc.

In particular, this hadith casts doubts on the possibility that there will even be another messenger. As hadith is our most credible source after Quran we cannot refute it at all.
This is the hadith 

Anas bin Malik narrated:
"The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said: 'Indeed Messenger-ship and Prophethood have been terminated, so there shall be no Messenger after me, nor a Prophet.'" He(Anas) said:"The people were concerned about that, so he (s.a.w) said: 'But there will be Mubash-shirat.' So they said: 'O Messenger of Allah! What is Mubash-shirat?' He said: 'The Muslim's dreams, for it is a portion of the portions of Prophethood.'"
حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ الزَّعْفَرَانِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا عَفَّانُ بْنُ مُسْلِمٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْوَاحِدِ يَعْنِي ابْنَ زِيَادٍ، حَدَّثَنَا الْمُخْتَارُ بْنُ فُلْفُلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَنَسُ بْنُ مَالِكٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ إِنَّ الرِّسَالَةَ وَالنُّبُوَّةَ قَدِ انْقَطَعَتْ فَلاَ رَسُولَ بَعْدِي وَلاَ نَبِيَّ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ فَشَقَّ ذَلِكَ عَلَى النَّاسِ فَقَالَ ‏"‏ لَكِنِ الْمُبَشِّرَاتُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَمَا الْمُبَشِّرَاتُ قَالَ ‏"‏ رُؤْيَا الْمُسْلِمِ وَهِيَ جُزْءٌ مِنْ أَجْزَاءِ النُّبُوَّةِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَفِي الْبَابِ عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ وَحُذَيْفَةَ بْنِ أَسِيدٍ وَابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ وَأُمِّ كُرْزٍ ‏.‏ قَالَ هَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ غَرِيبٌ مِنْ هَذَا الْوَجْهِ مِنْ حَدِيثِ الْمُخْتَارِ بْنِ فُلْفُلٍ ‏.‏
Grade:    Sahih (Darussalam)      
Reference    : Jami` at-Tirmidhi 2272
In-book reference    : Book 34, Hadith 3
English translation    : Vol. 4, Book 8, Hadith 2272

Prophet Muhammad is stated to have implied the future coming of messengers after his coming has ceased. This hadith is also said to be sahih which makes the statement in the hadith even more clear. 

I'm confused as to whether there are certain subtleties in the language of Arabic that are not captured well by an English translation and therefore the meaning may change.
Joseph, can you please shed some light on this and anyone else who feels they can share something useful regarding this matter can also contribute?