Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Did the Prophet marry Mariyah Coptic ?

Offline antediluvian

• View Profile
Did the Prophet marry Mariyah Coptic ?
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:49:57 AM »
Salamun Alaykum brother Joseph,

I read with some interest your article on the issue of Slave Women, and this invoked in me the curiousity to know your opinion regarding whether the Prophet (sws) married Mariyah the Copitc or not ? The traditional understanding, afaik is that he did not need to marry her as sex with slave-women was permitted, and further the verses 33:50-52 do not make any mention of allowance for him to marry slave women. Or do you mean to say that the exception mentioned in 4:24 overrides the categories of women permitted for him (sws) ?

I would be grateful for your opinion on the same, and also whether there is any historical record of the Prophet having married Mariyah.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Did the Prophet marry Mariyah Coptic ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 02:47:26 AM »
Peace Antediluvian.

As per the article you have referred to, I find no support in the Quran for sex with slave girls outside wedlock. As you will have noted from the article, I find such a concept negated by the Quran. So I completely reject the traditional position that 'he did not need to marry her as sex with slave-women was permitted' outright citing clear Quranic evidence.

Though verse 33:52 restricts the Prophet from marrying any further 'free believing women', an exception is noted where this prohibition does not extend to those of the category of 'right hands possessed'. This category was not captured under the prohibition and the Prophet was still allowed to marry them if he so chose to. (Illa ma malakat yaminuka - except what your right hands possess).

Whether the Prophet married any such women is not confirmed by the Quran which leads me on to your final point.

The Quran does not pay any relevance to the number of wives of the Prophet, their characters or even deem it appropriate to mention them by names. They have rather been doubly warned (33:30) but have also been given the chance to obtain twice the reward (33:31).

From a Quran's perspective, questions pertaining to whom, what and whether seem superfluous in terms of mankind's guidance. The general wisdom I see as being "Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do" (2.134)

However, from a historian's point of view, the earliest record of such a marriage is found in the works of Ibn Ishaq (d.767 CE), a professional story teller and Islam's earliest historian of the Prophet's biography. His own works are not extant but are transmitted to us through various students and transmitters (with differences). The most popular transmission is one that is received via Al-Bakkai and through Ibn Hisham (d.833)

According to Ibn Ishaq, Mary was one of four slave girls given / offered to the Prophet by the Patriarch of Alexandria (a.k.a. Muqauqis).

Ibn Hisham (Editor of Ibn Ishaq's work) then expands on the information of the Prophet's wives in his 'Notes section' which is based merely on hearsay ('¦according to what more than one traditionist has told me).

The manner in which he cites his sources is worth noting.

The authenticity of these sources and veracity of their claims has a history of disputes. However, many Muslims never seem to question the fluid and often dubious means in which their 'history' has reached them. They seem to be more sure of the history than the classical historians were themselves. It is interesting to note how fluidity of information, in time becomes cemented as fact.

My articles below may prove of relevance, God willing.

WHERE DO WE LEARN ABOUT PROPHET MUHAMMAD'S (pbuh) WIVES?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prophet's%20wives%20FM3.htm

IBN ISHAQ'S SIRA OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/ibn%20ishaq%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline antediluvian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
thanks brother Joseph for your insight. I am but a student and trying to learn and form my own opinions.. !

Salaam.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
We all are students and I completely understand and concur with your general sentiments.

I'd like to repeat an analogy I made on another post. I feel it apt here:

It is a complex web of acquiring information and I believe that God takes us past what I call are 'watering places' if He intends to guide and 'water' those that truly seek His way. It is often a case of traversing these stepping stones with an open mind / heart and indeed moving on when the time is right.

My humble effort is merely a small piece in this immense web. Please take anything from it that is good and move on from anything that you do not find convincing.

Joseph  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell