Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are Humans (Scientists) Playing God?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Are Humans (Scientists) Playing God?
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
Salamun Alaikum

Thank You for your response. It is very much appreciated. I hope you do not mind, but I have many questions for you. There are not that many Muslims that I can engage in deep conversations with. Many uphold conservative cultural values and when you ask them a thought provoking question, either they do not have and answer or they shun you away. I would like to engage in thoughtful conversations with you, only if you are okay with it.

These days people are busy answering questions regarding the present or past in regards to Islam, but not many think about the future. I believe it is about time that scholars start talking about Islam and its relation to future events. Science and technology is advancing so fast, that it is scary as to what can be accomplished. THIS NEW ERA WILL HAVE PROFOUND IMPACTS ON HOW PEOPLE VIEW RELIGION AND THEIR BELIEF IN GOD. It is important to start discussing these types of topics now so that future generations are not left in the dark.

I watched a documentary on the BBC network titled "Playing God". This documentary is about the many advancements made in biotechnology. Believe it or not, but scientist have created the first fully synthetic organism. This 'new' species does not exist in the animal world and was fully created in a science lab. What does the Quran say about this?  I thought God was the only creator, but now humans can create as well. Or what about animals that have been created with genes from different species?

Scientist are saying that human beings will be created in test tubes one day, and their parents will be computers that are designed to mix different genes together. Will these people have souls? How should one raise these types of children? Even more frightening, scientist say that some people will have genes from other species of animals. Is this acceptable?

I have heard that in about 100 years, scientist will be able to bring people back from the dead. Even more interesting, some scientist claim that man will be immortal in about 200 years. What does the Quran say about this?

This new era will challenge people's belief in God the most than any other era in human history. This new era will surely produce a lot more atheist than ever before. How does one believe in God when man is quickly becoming God?

I am anxiously awaiting your response,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Are Humans (Scientists) Playing God?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
Salamun Alaikum,

The Quran welcomes advancements in all spectrums of human endeavour. This is more than hinted at by the following verse.

055:033
"O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth, then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction"

However, as I’m sure you will agree, we must be able to separate 'news headlines' and undertones marred with hyperbole from facts.

What you have kindly shared is not 'creating life' but 'genetic engineering' at best. To create life, one would have to start from absolutely nothing, and not make use of any existing genetic material in whatever capacity whatsoever or any pre-existing hosts. In other words, a living entity would have to be created from completely dead inanimate objects / materials with absolutely no input from any other ‘living’ source (genetic material etc).

This has not been done and the maxim 'life comes from life' still stands.

Even the synthetic cell that was engineered in the laboratory to my knowledge made use of a host bacterium cell. The host pre-existed with existing genetic material / biology.

With your other questions, they are respectfully hypothetical. I am sure you will once again agree that they make great documentaries indeed, but we must wait to see what actually transpires.

As to “How does one believe in God when man is quickly becoming God?”.

022:073
“O men! Here is a parable set forth! listen to it! Those on whom, besides God, ye call, cannot create (even) a fly, if they all met together for the purpose! and if the fly should snatch away anything from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly. Feeble are those who petition and those whom they petition!”

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell