Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: can someone explain me 11:7 about God's throne on water and about sorcery ?

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
Salaam alaikum group members , Can someone explain me 11:7 ?

"And it is He who created the heavens and the earth in six days - and His Throne had been upon water - that He might test you as to which of you is best in deed. But if you say,"Indeed, you are resurrected after death,"those who disbelieve will surely say,"This is not but obvious magic."

I have 2 confusions in this verse .

1) Regarding god's throne/rule  on water.

2) that why they the peoples would say that this is clear sorcery when nothing abnormal happened in that scene ?

i am curious to know it because this verse can be used to support extra-quranic stories in which prophet did miracle.
Thanks in advance.
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline optimist

• View Profile
I have 2 confusions in this verse .

1) Regarding god's throne/rule  on water.

This is an allegorical statement to proclaim Allah's supreme control over the source of life which depends upon water. 

"We made from water every living thing."(21:30)

"All living things are created from a mixture of water."(24:45)

Allah exists everywhere therefore He does not  literally sit on a (physical) throne as Allah is not physical in nature.

2) that why they the peoples would say that this is clear sorcery when nothing abnormal happened in that scene ?

i am curious to know it because this verse can be used to support extra-quranic stories in which prophet did miracle.

The claim of unbelievers, "This is not but obvious magic" سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ in the above verse, has nothing to do with any reference to extra-quranic stories in which prophet did any miracle (the prophet did not do any miracle according to Quran).  Their denial of life after death is mentioned in Quran at many places.  For instance, " And yet they say: "There is nothing beyond our life in this world. We die as we come to life, and nothing but time destroys us." But of this they have no knowledge whatever: they do nothing but guess.”(45:24)

Also, it was  the claim of the disbelievers all along that the prophet is affected with magic which Quran very strongly refuted at a number of places.  Refer to the following verses;

“when thou camest unto them with all evidence of the truth, and [when] those of them who were bent on denying the truth were saying, `This is clearly nothing but deception!” سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ (5:110)

“And so, when the truth came to them from Us, they said, "Behold, this is clearly nothing but sorcery!" سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ (10:76)

“But when Our light-giving messages came unto them, they said, "This is clearly [but] spellbinding deception!" سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ (27:13)

“When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, the Unbelievers say, of the Truth when it comes to them: "This is evident sorcery!" سِحْرٌ مُبِينٌ (46:7)
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
Re: can someone explain me 11:7 about God's throne on water and about sorcery ?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
@optimist:
“And He it is Who has created the heavens and the earth in Six Days and -His Throne was on the water-.”[ Surat Hud, Ayah 7]
If we read the Torah, in Genesis it clearly says:
"2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

This tends to lean more towards the 'physical throne' argument. Both of these verses refer to the creation story AND involve God Above the waters. This doesn't seem to be related to human/organic composition. If the throne was referring to His authority/control, why does He randomly(sorry, trying to convey a point here) state that His 'authority' was above the waters?

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
Salam

To add to the discussion, here are two translations of 11:07

[Tahir ul Qadri] And He (Allah) is the One Who created the heavens and the earth (the higher and the lower strata of the universe) in six days (i.e. six phases or aeons of creation and evolution). And (before the creation of the earth) His Throne of Authority operated on water, (and from that He brought forth all manifestations of life and created you,) so that He might put you to trial to evaluate which of you would prove better conduct-wise. And if you say: ´You will be raised (brought to life) after death,´ the disbelievers will certainly say: ´This is nothing (else) but an obvious magic.´

[Beijan Moeinian] God is the One Who created the heavens and the earth in six days. His (earthly) domain was completely covered with water. He has provided this [hospitable] world for your trial (so that you prove yourself to Him and learn by going through hardships) and see which one of you will do his best. If you (Mohammad) let them know that they will be raised after death, their only response will be: “This man is talking witchcraft.”

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
A couple more:

[Asad] And He it is who has created the heavens and the earth in six aeons; and [ever since He has willed to create life,] the throne of His almightiness has rested upon water. [God reminds you of your dependence on Him] in order to test you [and thus to make manifest] which of you is best in conduct. For thus it is: if thou sayest [unto men], "Behold, you shall be raised again after death!" - they who are bent on denying the truth are sure to answer, "This is clearly nothing but an enchanting delusion"

[Dr Shabbir] He created the heavens and the earth in six stages and established Himself on the throne of His Almightiness. He has Supreme Control over the origination of life which began in water (21:30). Life is a test for yourselves to see which of you leads a balanced life and is best in conduct. Yet, if you (O Prophet), say, "You will be raised again after death," the rejecters of the Truth will surely answer, "This is clearly nothing but a fabulous delusion!" (45:24).
------------------

Please read alternate translations at www.islamawakened.com