Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Solemn Covenant ?

Offline Talib

• View Profile
Solemn Covenant ?
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Dear Respected Joseph Islam Sir

Salamun Alaikum

I read your wonderful article about Ayesha's Age.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/ayesha%20age%20FM3.htm

It is stated in the article that ..

It is clear from the following verse of the Quran, that a ‘Solemn covenant’ is a pre-requisite for marriage and has to be entered into by both parties.

004:021
“And how could ye take it when you have gone in to each other, and they have taken from you a solemn covenant (Arabic: Meethaqan Galezaan)?"

From this I find Quran clearly warranting the Nikaah to be documented.  One of the reasons for this, in my humble understanding, could be that such relationship (Marriage) is a matter between humans and from Social point of view, it is very apt to have it documented keeping in mind the Verses regarding Witnesses.

Then we also find the same word (Meethaqan Galezaan) to have been used in regard to God and Prophets.

033:007
“And remember We took from the prophets their covenant: As (We did) from thee: from Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus the son of Mary: We took from them a solemn covenant (Arabic: Meethaqan Galezaan)”

The question 'popped' in me was that ..

If I take my understanding of 'Meethaqan Galezaan' to be a documentation between two parties, then what documentation was done between God and Humans (In this case Prophets) ?

Could you please shed some light on this ?

Thank you

Talib

P.S.  My apology if you find my question as silly or kiddish.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Solemn Covenant ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
Salaam,

It makes sense to document a nikah and have witnesses present. The need for witnesses is by inference because in matters of divorce , when the couple want to retract, they must do so in the presence of witnesses.

The need for witnesses helps if, in the future, there is some kind of dispute, others can verify that a covenant was made.

Unlike a marriage situation, where two people are entering into a partnership, in the case of the covenants that the prophets made with God,  there would be no need for witnesses at all because they are entering into a binding agreement with their Creator.

God is the ultimate witness and the prophets would never renegade on their covenants with Him  because they have witnessed the truth and are staunch believers who would never deny their Lord.