Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is islam an oxymoron?

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Is islam an oxymoron?
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:57 PM »
Salaam all,

We all realize the big divide between Islam and its practices.  Today I saw a newsflash in islamophobia that the “There is no God and Islam is evil” speech earns Richard Dawkins a standing ovation.  Prof Dawkins said: “We are terrified of being called ‘Islamophobic’. It is a disgrace a religion prescribes death for leaving it. The vast majority of Muslims would not dream of doing that, but they are taught it in their madrassas… and it only takes a minority to put that into practice. And, as 
we have seen, terrible things happen.”

He is a renowed atheist yet in my heart, I cannot blame him for his  very perceptive opinion.  If there is anyone to be blamed, it is us,  Self-blaming  is not new, has been expressed hundred times before; appears the view needs to be expressed more intensely and much more frequently till it reaches the target.  Otherwise Islam is peace will continue to be an oxymoron.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Is islam an oxymoron?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:07:33 AM »
Bro Islam does not prescribe death for leaving Islam.It is created by narrating Ahadith which are not in confomity with quran.In Aya 2:256 Allah says tgere is no compulsion in religion which mean any body is free to leave Islam if he does not want to.Therefore Islamphobia and the general thought that persons leaving Islam will be killed is wrong.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:15:57 AM »
Peace,

Yes, brother I'm well aware of brother Joseph's stance on the subject.  My focus was on what you and I can do about projecting Islam in its true nature.  Any ideas?
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »
salaam,

Peace,

Yes, brother I'm well aware of brother Joseph's stance on the subject.  My focus was on what you and I can do about projecting Islam in its true nature.  Any ideas?

I think we can start with ourselves, by setting a good example of a muslim, as per Quran.

There is also two good websites I helped with for promoting islam: www.Learn-About-Islam.com (good for Muslim and others) and www.AreYouMuslim.com (especially good for passing onto 'non-Muslims')

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »
Hello Wakas,

Disseminating the correct knowledge is just one component of the problem. There is plenty of information is out there.  How do we solve the second component?  Educating the ummah so that their actions  reflect what they believe/preach.

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »
Salam all
 This large discrepancy between theory and practice we see not only in Islam, but also elsewhere.
I am also of the opinion that we should first of all start at home:  do yourself what you preach. Then we can look around in the family and in the neighborhood. If we all would work so consistently, then there would be a chance to liveour faith. But we're usually too busy with ourselves, or too tired, or do not want, or, or, or ...
Since it is easier to blame others rather than to look at ourselves. The errors of the other people are always obvious, however, our own mistakes we see often not.
Peace :)

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
Peace,

Ah Hope. I think bro Sardar meant to say 'Bro, Islam does not prescribe ..." and forgot to add the comma!!  I'm not sure he was referring to brother Joseph. He may be calling you 'bro' accidently though for which there is no excuse!  :o

Sardar - Hope is a sister!  Can you clarify whether you meant to say that 'Islam does not prescribe ..." ?  Saba  ;D 8)

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:53 AM »
Yes Sister Saba I mean Islam does not prescribe death who leave Islam.I am sorry that i referred to Hope as Bro.It is my mistake.Sorry
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light