Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Well of ZamZam

Offline Peaceful

• Choose the truth, even if it sounds bitter!
    • View Profile
Well of ZamZam
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
I know that ZamZam is not mentioned by name in the Qur'an, but I found something quite interesting about this word.

Wikipedia has the Hajar background: "Neither Sara nor Hājar are mentioned by name in the Qur'an, but the story is traditionally understood to be referred to in a line from Ibrāhīm's prayer in Sura Ibrahim (14:37): "I have settled some of my family in a barren valley near your Sacred House."[12] While Hājar is not named, the reader lives Hājar's predicament indirectly through the eyes of Ibrāhīm."...

NON-Quranic
"Hājar panicked and ran between two nearby hills, Al-Safa and Al-Marwah repeatedly in search for water. After her seventh run, Ismā'īl hit the ground with his heel and caused a miraculous well to spring out of the ground. This is called Zamzam Well and is located a few metres from the Kaaba in Mecca.[15]"

I was reading through the Bible and as luck has it, Deuteronomy:

20 (That was also regarded as a land of giants;[a] giants formerly dwelt there. But the Ammonites call them ZAMZUMMIM, 21 a people as great and numerous and tall as the Anakim. But the Lord destroyed them before them, and they dispossessed them and dwelt in their place,

Wikipedia on the Rephaites: "The area of Moab at Ar, (the region East of the Jordan) before the time of Moses, was also considered the land of the Rephaites. Deuteronomy 2:18-21 refers to the fact that Ammonites called them "Zamzummim", which is related to the Hebrew word זמזם, which literally translates into "Buzzers", or "the people whose speech sounds like buzzing." In Arabic the word زمزم (zamzama) translates as "to rumble, roll (thunder); murmur". As per Deut 2:11, the Moabites referred to them as the Emim."

Since this was written around the time of King Josiah, and is in North-West Arabia, it is possible that these are the 'Ad people mentioned in the Qur'an!