Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 4:135

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
4:135
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:57 AM »
Salaam all,

The US Harvard University has posted a verse of the Holy Quran at the entrance of its faculty of law, describing the verse as one of the greatest expressions for justice in history, a Saudi newspaper reported on Sunday.

Verse 135 of Sura Al Nisa (women chapter) has been posted at a wall facing the faculty’s main entrance, dedicated to the best phrases said about justice.
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 4:135
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »
Salaam,

Thank you for the information..I looked it up:

http://library.law.harvard.edu/justicequotes/explore-the-room/west/

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Peace Truth Seeker,

Thanks for the link sister.  Don't know where they got the information but there is no temporary marriage in the Quran.  Am I mistaken?

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:08 PM »

Salaam,

It seems that they are getting this information from external sources, probably Tafseer.   ???

The Quran does not have any mention of temporary marriage at all.

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
Salaam.

Re: temp marriage - see: http://quransmessage.com/articles/mut'ah%20FM3.htm 

8)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:56 AM »
Dear Saba,

Thanks. I was objecting to the information put on the wall at Harvard under the Quranic verse but on second thought I'm withdrawing my objection because it begins with "according to Islamic tradition."

According to Islamic tradition, this surah (chapter), was revealed in Medina after the Prophet’s hijra (migration) from Mecca in 622 CE. As the name of this surah implies, An-Nisa’ mainly deals with the obligations and responsibilities of women in Islamic society, but it also touches on inheritance and family law along with slavery and temporary marriage. In this verse, the Qur’an is addressing the importance of truthfulness in testimony.