Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Were Arabs Ishmaelites?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Were Arabs Ishmaelites?
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
Salaam !

I read an article on your website where you say that Prophet Mohammad SAW was not a descendant of Prophet Abraham A.S.

I did read somewhere that the Blessed Prophet SAW was the only prophet who was ever sent amongst Arabs and the only Arabic speaking prophet. Moses Alayhis Salam, Daud Alayhis Salam, Abraham Alayhis Salam and Jesus Alayhis Salam spoke In Hebrew and possibly Aramaic language, correct me if I am wrong.

But if your new discovery is indeed true then why would certain Jewish tribes would call Prophet Mohammad SAW a man from the Children of Ishmael or Ishmaelites as per this another article about authentic biography of Prophet Mohammad SAW?

Hebrew is older than Arabic so isn't it possible that Prophet Mohammad SAW was also from the descendants of Abraham A.S. whose languages and dialects got evolved?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Were Arabs Ishmaelites?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
May peace be with you.

You say:

"But if your new discovery is indeed true then why would certain Jewish tribes would call Prophet Mohammad SAW a man from the Children of Ishmael or Ishmaelites as per this another article about authentic biography of Prophet Mohammad SAW?"

With respect, I would strongly question the sources used to derive this claim and subsequently ask the pointed question, what unequivocal evidence is there that the Jewish tribes ever said this?

Furthermore, I would be inclined to contest the notion that there is an 'authentic' biography of the Prophet. The earliest comprehensive biography of the Prophet was written approximate 150 years after the death of the Prophet and was transmitted to us often in recensions via other students.

The authenticity of these sources is highly debatable.

Please see the article [1] below.

The earliest, most authentic source of the Prophet's biography and wider ministry is the Quran itself. I have shared my humble perspective in an article from the Quran's perspective where I have argued that there is no Quranic warrant for the belief that the Arabs were descendants of Prophet Abraham or the Ishmaelites. [2]

The Quran ultimately remains the most authentic source.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] IBN ISHAQ'S SIRA OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/ibn%20ishaq%20FM3.htm
[2] ARE THE ARABS AND PROPHET MUHAMMAD (pbuh) REALLY DESCENDANTS OF PROPHET ABRAHAM? (pbuh)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/are%20the%20arabs%20descendants%20of%20abraham%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell