Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: On Wudhu

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
On Wudhu
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
I refer to the following verse on Wudhu:

http://www.islamawakened.com/quran/5/6/default.htm

Yusuf Ali: "O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, God doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful."

Can "offices of nature" also include an episode of flatulence? In the Muslim community I come from an episode of flatulence, however small, renders Wudhu void, and therefore Wudhu must be performed again in order to be fit for prayer. In my personal opinion flatulence may or may not result in uncleanliness, and it should be left to individual judgment if purification is necessary.

Does "contact with women" imply only sexual contact or any form of physical contact? In the Muslim community I come from even an accidental touch with a member of the opposite sex will render Wudhu void.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
Re: On Wudhu
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »

Dear Shahmatt,

I think flatulence should not be a problem if you are praying alone.  However, in congregation, this incidence can cause some serious 'concern' for the people around, and for that reason, one can leave temporarily without having to do the wudu again.  If flatulence has cause some 'leakage' problem, repetition of wudu is warranted after cleaning.

In Hajj, you can't leave without causing significant disruption and old people do not leave even after 'noisy flatulence.  The verse is most likely talking about emptying of regular bowels.  That is my understanding anyway.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Dear Shahmatt,

May peace be with you.

In much resonance with the above, please also see the following Q&A.

Does passing wind from the anus invalidate wudu?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=675.msg2507#msg2507

Does "contact with women" imply only sexual contact or any form of physical contact? In the Muslim community I come from even an accidental touch with a member of the opposite sex will render Wudhu void.

In my humble opinion, there is no proof that a mere simple physical contact (non-sexual) renders the ablution invalid.

'Lamasa' means to touch, any sort of touch. However, the verb 'lamasa' in the context of verse 5:6 and 4:43 in the expression 'lamastumu'nisaa' has a context and is a reference to sexual contact.

As with any language a word can have different meanings depending on context.

For example:

• Keep in 'touch'
  • Don't 'touch' my belongings
  • This 'touching' incident happened last year
  • He 'touched' me (non-sexual)
  • He 'touched' me (sexual)

For example the expression 'al-misni jariyata' implies 'will you permit me to feel, or touch, the girl' or 'al-misni amratan' implies 'will you marry me to a woman'. Or one says when a woman fornicates or commits adultery 'fa'lana tahu la taradu yada lamisin' or 'la tamnau ya da la'misin'.

Furthermore, even one's mother is a woman. In that case, would touching one's mother render ablution invalid? If you have ever been to Hajj or Umrah, you would have noted that often in the congested environment or crush it is almost impossible not to accidentally touch other people who at times are individuals of the opposite gender.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
Thank you all for the input.

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »
peace,

In addition, the Arabic word used in the verses is "al ghaiti" which literally means "hole in the ground", i.e. old style toilet. Thus, it is unlikely to include flatulence unless it is implied that people made a hole in the ground when emitting such.

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:17:12 AM »
@ Wakas. Ah I see! Thank you for that info.