Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: On the consumption of birds

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
On the consumption of birds
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
Dear Joseph Islam,

I refer to the following article, specifically the section on the consumption of Birds.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/food%20restrictions%20FM3.htm

I understand that there are no restrictions in the Quran on the eating of birds, and in fact the Quran also mentions fowl as a food in paradise.

You have also stated that the rule on general animal consumption, i.e. carnivorous and omnivorous animals may not be consumed, may be applied to birds.

However articles on the internet discussing the diet of birds seem to suggest that fowl such as chicken are in fact omnivorous. See random google link below:

http://www.westonaprice.org/farm-a-ranch/chickens-are-omnivores-its-no-dilemma

On this basis do you feel that fowl may not be eaten during our life on earth?

Or, based on the Quranic assertion that fowl is consumed in paradise, do you feel that omnivorous birds are allowable for consumption?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: On the consumption of birds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:29:50 AM »
Dear Shahmatt,

May peace be with you.

The word ''tayr' (56:21) means 'birds' in general as does the English word 'fowl'. The type of bird is not specified in heaven.

However, my reference was predominantly to carnivorous / omnivorous flesh eating birds or raptors such as an eagle, vultures, owls, hawks etc, and not domesticated poultry that may also eat some insect life or else if the opportunity presented itself.

I feel there is a marked difference between the diet of a raptor and domesticated poultry. Hence why you will have noted my sentiment in the article:

“Therefore applying the same principle, one could argue that hunting predatory and scavenger birds that also eat dead carcasses and other animals are also forbidden on the same grounds.”

For that reason in my humble view, I feel birds bred as part of poultry are permissible for consumption.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Shahmatt

• View Profile
Re: On the consumption of birds
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
Agreed that there is a difference between the diet of predatory birds and poultry.

Thank you for the clarification.