Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Please Help me Understand Verse 5:54 correctly

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Please Help me Understand Verse 5:54 correctly
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:15:32 AM »
Peace be upon you dear brother,

Please help me understand Verse 5:54 correctly.

I was reading several translation of this verse. My query is regarding the phrase highlighted below.

aAAizzatin AAala alkafireena

What should be the exact meaning  of the word aAAizzatin (أَعِزَّةٍ) in this context ?
From the trnslations below I can see the words proud, stern, lowly and dignified has been used.

From the verses 4:172-173 , 7:206 , 16:23, 31:18, 17:37, 21:19 ,25:63,  57:23 its clear that God does not like who is proud/boastful/arrogant. Again Pride was the reason that Ibless Satan was banished from heaven and became the dire enemy of human.

So I think the meaning of this word in this context should not be proud which bears a negative meaning rather it would be a positive meaning. And there is a popular slogan among muslims is "Proud to be Muslim" . I think this is not right. We should rather be humbled to submit to God Alone.

I have checked the meaning of the root word and there are several options. Among which honorable/esteemed/respectable/dignified etc bears a positive meaning. 

Ayn-Zay-Zay = mighty/potent/powerful/strong, noble/honourable/glorious, resisted/withstood, invincible, overcome (e.g. in argument), exalt, prevail, highly esteemed, precious, glory, vanity, excellent, proud and hard manner, stern.
uzza - name of an idol of the pagan Arabs regarded by them as God's daughter.
'Azza (prf. 3rd. m. sing. asim. V): Prevailed.
'Azzaznaa (prf. 1st. pl. II): We strengthened.
Tu'izzu (impf. 2nd. m. pl. II): thou honour, confer honour and dignity.
'Izzan (v. n.): source of strength.
'Izzatun (v. n.): vain pride, false prestige or sense of self respect, might honour, power.
Al-Aziizun (act. pic. m. sing.): All-Mighty, One of the names of Allah, Unassailable, invincible, powerful in evidences and arguments, strong, mighty, heavy (with 'alaa: tell hard upon).
A'azzu (elative): more powerful, that occupies stronger and more respectable position.
A'izzatan (n. pl.): most respectable and powerful, its sing. is 'Aziiyun.

Muhammad Asad

God will in time bring forth [in your stead] people whom He loves and who love Him - humble towards the believers, proud towards all who deny the truth: [people] who strive hard in God's cause, and do not fear to be censured by anyone who might censure them: such is God's favour, which He grants unto whom He wills. And God is infinite, all-knowing.

Yusuf Ali

5:54 (Y. Ali) O ye who believe! if any from among you turn back from his Faith, soon will Allah produce a people whom He will love as they will love Him,- lowly with the believers, mighty against the rejecters, fighting in the way of Allah, and never afraid of the reproaches of such as find fault. That is the grace of Allah, which He will bestow on whom He pleaseth. And Allah encompasseth all, and He knoweth all things.

Rashad Khalifa

5:54 O you who believe, if you revert from your religion, then GOD will substitute in your place people whom He loves and who love Him. They will be kind with the believers, stern with the disbelievers, and will strive in the cause of GOD without fear of any blame. Such is GOD's blessing; He bestows it upon whomever He wills. GOD is Bounteous, Omniscient.

Edip-Layth

5:54 O you who acknowledge, whoever from among you turns away from His system, then God will bring a people whom He loves and they love Him; humble towards those who acknowledge, dignified towards the ingrates; they strive in the cause of God and do not fear the blame of those who blame. This is God's grace, He bestows it upon whom He wills; God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please share your opinion on this .

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Please Help me Understand Verse 5:54 correctly
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:18:00 AM »
Peace brother ...

In my humble opinion, 'proud' is probably the least likely understanding I get from the Arabic text. Yes, any good translator like the ones you have listed below including our brother Edip tries to capture the best meaning of the word given the context of the narrative.

I personally incline to read the adjective in the more 'stern' 'strong'  sense.  But that does not mean I do not respect brother Edip's rendering as the Arabic does carry a somewhat multi-faceted nuance.

My humble opinion.

Your brother,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell