Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 25:72

Offline yahya

• View Profile
25:72
« on: August 06, 2016, 03:40:49 AM »
Assalam alikum i was just wondering what does 25 :72 mean does it's mean we can't read the bible or attend a christian service just to learn more about what they do like knowledge history documentry etc

Offline yahya

• View Profile
Re: 25:72
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:59:52 AM »
Assalam alikum brother I was just wondering what is the difference between laghw and haram and also I get the feeling that everything is Laghw like we can't player sports or etc in you know what I mean because laghw could be everything apart from eat sleep worship I am not being disrespectful Im very confused what laghw means become its could've men anything

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:02:12 AM »
Peace. It is the verb for "useless talk".
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
What counts as useless talk because anything could be useless talk the trouble is this is a very broad verse it could mean anything because if it is backbiting or gossip that would be a sin so why not say sinful talk here instead of Laghw sorry to bother you

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:01:35 AM »
Salam Yahya

Gahaiile was not wrong when he said it means ' useless talk'. Many translators have translated it as such. But many others have also translated the verse as vain talk/ vain activities/ indecent talk/ indecent activities/ sinful talk/ sinful activities etc.

But that does not mean believers cannot engage in a discussion about a cricket match, books, movies etc. We can engage in discussions which are not religious in nature but we should be careful that we do not condone sinful behaviour/activities or participate in sinful behaviour/acitivies at any time.

If previous verses and following verses are studied, the context becomes clear that Allah is talking about the nature/behaviour/activity of  people who are going to be heaven dwellers and people who are going to be dwellers of hell. He describes how heaven dwellers are humble people who do not commit shirk, adultery, murder and even of they do commit these things they become extremely remorseful and repent for their sins. Adding on that, God says that such people do not bear false witness and when they encounter any activity/behaviour not acceptable to God as an activity/ behaviour befitting a believer, they move away without participating in such behaviour/activity keeping their dignity and sinless state intact even after exposure to that sinful environment.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »
Peace. Could you provide reference that this word is used like this in Arabic?
deleted

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
Salam Gahaille

I did agree that the term means 'useless talk'. I am more inclined towards the interpretation of the word as 'useless talk' but by useless I do not think it includes harmless discussions about books, movies, etc which can be thought of as useless in the context of life in the hereafter. Such discussions do not help us score brownie points with God. But I do beleive we can talk to each other about any topic as long as we do not sin like backbite or spread malicious gossip.

Yahya was very concerned, that anything outside sleeping, eating or any talking outside necessity  (even harmless unnecessary talking ) and praying could be thought of as useless. I wanted to assure him that is not the case.

I mentioned other interpretations because a lot of scholars/ translators do interpret that term differently , so I did not want to present just my point of view which matches with your own interpretation :)

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
Peace. For our reference, the statement that the prosperous turn from "useless talk"  is in 23:3, and 28:55 also.
deleted

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
Salam Gahaiile

I know that that word is used as ' useless talk' in other places in the Quran. That is why I favor that interpretation. I just couldn't remember/ find the verses to quote. But thank you so much  :)

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
What about 31:6 some use this as well

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »
Salam

The term in 31:6 is ' lawha hadeethi'. We have previously told you that the term means 'useless talk' and also explained how the phrase does not include harmless talking or exchange of information.

31:6
And of the mankind (is he) who purchases, idle tales to mislead from (the) path (of) Allah without knowledge, and takes it (in) ridicule. Those for them (is) a punishment humiliating.

31:7
And when are recited to him Our Verses, he turns away arrogantly as if not he (had) heard them, as if in his ears (is) deafness. So give him tidings of a punishment painful.

In 31:6, Allah is telling us about a kind of people who collect or purchase idle talk/ baseless information about the religion with the intention of misleading others without verifying the authenticity of the religious knowledge he/she gained and is now spreading. This particular kind of people do this knowingly in order to mislead and they do not take the repurcussions of such an action seriously. They take the job of spreading the message about true religion like a sport ( they do not give this the importance it deserves). Can u imagine taking the issue of dawah not seriously? And spreading unverified information as authentic message of God? If someone does this knowingly, this person is knowingly lying about Allah. This is a very serious matter. Even if u do it unknowingly, u end up lying about Allah. So, do not talk about God and religion if u r not sure about the authenticity of the information u r spreading.

In 31:7 , God continues to tell us about the characteristics of such people, that when the true verses of Allah are recited to them, and what they are doing is exposed as a great sin, they refuse to acknowledge their actions and act as if they are deaf. And they continue to do what they were doing as if they have not been warned at all. Instead of stopping the spread of unverified religious information, they continue spreading it in order to mislead millions. For these people, God has reserved severe punishment.

These verses are not talking about the Bible or any other scripture, we know that the Quran says that the Bible has been misread or themes have been misrepresented, but the Quran does not say that the Bible suffered a wholesale corruption. But, if you do not possess enough knowledge and cannot discern between which verses of the Bible have been mistranslated, then the directive for you or any such person is to not spread that message.

We are asked not to talk about God if we are not sure that whatever we are saying is true and authentic. If we are in doubt, it is better to keep quite than lie about God and mislead others as well.

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
Sorry so wouldmovies and tv come under laghw useless talk because I enjoy that and I learn alot from movies and tv so would movies and tv come under laghw useless talk sorry to keep bothering you this is the last question for this topic

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:51 AM »
Salam

Do those movies have an adverse effect on your faith? You have to be your own judge. Some ppl become good debaters and their faith becomes stronger when they analyse media ( tv/movies) that questions their faith. So just watching them is not something that is sinful if it helps reinforce your faith in God or help u understand Him and Scripture better. Other things which r not religious in nature you can enjoy them. But u have to discern urself I do not know what affects u and what doesn't. This is a very subjective matter without a yes/no answer.

I think I have discussed this topic in detail in my previous replies, pls re-read them. I have nothing else that can make this clearer to u. Maybe someone else can help u understand this better. Appararently, this is bothering u a lot.

God Bless  :)