Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Regarding 67:16-17 - For Joseph Islam

Offline amirpitch

• View Profile
Regarding 67:16-17 - For Joseph Islam
« on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
Salam Joseph,

I have been reading your website for a while and I value your work.

Could you please clarify the meaning of a verse of the Quran for me.

According to many Quranic verses, God is outside of the universe/creation,
39:67, 21:104, 21:30 to name a few. This supports your understanding in one
of your articles and I'm in full agreement.

However, one verse is traditionally translated as referring to God as 'the
One in Heaven'. Though the word ALaDhi is not in the verse nor is the word
ALLaH, therefore I am sceptical that this is the meaning. Do you think that
the meaning could be that Sama means lofty/high/raised (and not heaven in
this instance) and that God is being exalted or is it possible that the
description of highness or raising is an adjective of the security claimed
by unappreciative people, I.e 'are you in high/raised security...that not
He...'

I would be very interested in your opinion and interpretation of this verse.
Ps I have read a lot of translations and I can see that others are unsure of
the meaning of this verse.

Peace

Amir

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Regarding 67:16-17 - For Joseph Islam
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
Dear Amirpitch,

Wa alaikum assalam

Please kindly note the usage of the preposition 'fi' in the following verse (same preposition used in the verse you shared 67:16-17):

"...and I will surely crucify you on (fi) the trunks of palm trees" (20:71)

Does this mean that Pharaoh was going to crucify inside the tree or on / around the tree?

Therefore, the Arabic preposition 'fi' does not always have to imply 'in'. It can also imply something outside or around. There are other examples of this usage in the Quran.

If we were to take the same approach to render verse 67:16 or 67:17, one will note that the implication would then be an entity having control over / around / on the heavens. It would then arguably be a far-fetched leap to infer this as evidence that God existed inside His creation physically.

Please kindly note that this is not such a fantastic interpretation as not only do we note the preposition 'fi' be better rendered in certain contexts in the Quran as on / above, it is also well established in the Quran that God ascended his throne ('istawa ala 'larsh' - 7:54) in context to the establishment of God creating the universe and the laws and taking power over it. This is  further elaborated in verse 13:2 with the term 'yudabbiru l-amra' (governing / disposing the affairs). This is God's 'active involvement'.

Furthermore, there is also some room to interpret the 'Who' as being the exalted assemblies that perform God's work who would then be part of the creation.

Either way, the overarching meaning is the same, whether it is the assemblies operating within the universe at God's command or God's command over his 'samaa' (universe) it is God's decree, His power and absolute control over the affairs of the Universe which remain at the gist of the message. 

I hope this helps, God willing

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline amirpitch

• View Profile
Re: Regarding 67:16-17 - For Joseph Islam
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »
Salam Joseph,

Thank you very much for your concise reply. It seems clear to me now that in the context of the entire Quran that that is the correct understanding and I'm very grateful for you pointing out that other verse for me.

I apologise for the late reply as my wife's grandmother has recently suffered a stroke so I have been otherwise busy.

Peace be upon you and keep up the good work, God willing.

Peace,

Amir