Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Question regarding Zakat

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
Question regarding Zakat
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Salam All,

Hope you are all fine...i came across...Brother Joseph's article...and found these lines from his final thoughts..

If the state is an Islamic state, then the payment of Zakat will be to that particular state. The rate will be appropriately levied by those in governance given their circumstances. If one abides in another land, then a duty of responsibility and obligation is due to that particular community and state as responsible citizens.

Today Zakat is collected through a decentralised voluntary system. Many Muslim theologians attempt to expand the definition of whom and how the Zakat should be paid concentrating on primarily the Muslim communities. There is no indication that Zakat is only payable to Muslims. Rather Zakat is payable to all those who are in need in a given society.

According to above thoughts...is zakat charity or tax to be paid to the government?...m confused..can you guys please clear it

Regards,
Anjum

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding Zakat
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:26:14 AM »
Salamu Alykum Sister Anjum

Zakat is not a charity. The term used for charity in the Quran is "Sadaqa."

A simple answer is yes it is a tax to be paid to the government from the profits or gains of individuals or businesses collected. The rate of the tax will differentiate between nations or countries.

There is also expectations that those in authority are just and try to do the best for the citizens and the land. In taking these in considerations they will do there best to setup a system and rates to collect the tax.

When I look at the Islamic countries its hard to think of one that actually upholds the law to its citizens. It seems like the citizens whether wealthy or poor or in-between do not even think of paying or calculating their profits or losses and determine what is due.

They seem like they are mixing up the charity with the tax. They seem like they pay whatever they feel like to mosques or do a calculation of 2.5% of their savings or profits and simply distribute it to whom ever they please.

My own opinion is that many muslims around the world seem to mistaken charity(sadaqa) with tax(zakat) and are confused about  the two.

Also its unjust to the poor people in a land that a system of tax is not upheld. I feel like they have a right to demand that a system to be established so that necessary needs are provided.

Salam

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
Could you provide your evidences?
deleted

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
Asalamu Alykum Eliiah

Please read the article by brother Joseph Islam very carefully about the topic of "Zakat" [1].

Masha'Allah I find he has provided the evidence from the Quran. And I kind of only summarized part of the article in my own words to sister Anjum regarding her question of what I can decipher. However the article elaborates much more and at the end you can form your own summery about the Zakat and compare it to the world today.

Hope this helps God Willing

Peace  :)

[1]WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF ZAKAT FROM THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/zakah%20FM3.htm

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:05:27 AM »
Salam brother Hamzeh,

Thank u very much for ur explanation... It was helpful..thank u..but brother..what if the authority is corrupt?..even if we pay tax to the government..they won't do much to the society.. What should we do in such case?..

Regards,
Anjun

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 03:16:34 PM »
Salam Anjum

you stated

what if the authority is corrupt?..even if we pay tax to the government..they won't do much to the society.. What should we do in such case?..

Well I would suggest that if a tax system is in place and established by those who are in authority or government then they are doing the right thing by actually having a system. Now if there is any disagreement with what the system entails then you would need to do your research and see why its like that. Often many people don't agree with whats happening and why things are happening in their country. But after a little of research what they thought was corrupt and not fair turns out to be fair and acceptable.

Usually the government or at least a good government would do things for its citizens and provide the basic and necessary needs for its people. If this is being met then I would not see any things to be too concerned about as nothing is perfect and far from it and there will probably always be some type of temptations and briberies and corruption here and there. And there judgement would be with God if its something hidden. But hopefully not.

An excerpt from the article is:
Quite ironically, the requirements of a society based on an inclusive tax system seem to be better understood in non-Islamic countries (albeit nothing is perfect and far from it), than many Muslims countries that cannot often fulfil the basic demands of their citizens.

Peace

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
Salam Brother Hamzeh...

Thank you for your answer...:)...but brother..u know...we live in India...here..most of our tax money is being wrongly used by the people in authority...common or poor man does not get any benefit out of it...of course...we are going back to the dark days rather than developing...in this case...what should we do?...should we still pay them taxes?

Regards,
Anjum