Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 4:34 grammar

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
4:34 grammar
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi everyone, I just saw this article:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/fear%20FM3.htm

There are 2 versions of the word "fear," apparently. Which one is used in 4:34? I can't tell which version it is, as the word is in a different form. The implications of this difference in structure are probably important.
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
Re: 4:34 grammar
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
It's 'khafa'. This however, does NOT imply that the fear isn't well-founded, as Joseph clearly notes in his article. 'Khashiya' indicates a deep, intense spiritual fear (fear of God). 'Khafa' simply indicates a more general fear of the immediate situation, and is therefore more adequately suited for this verse. As you can see here: http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=xwf#(4:34:23) the word is used many times to denote legitimate fear, however unlike with 'khashiya', the fears are more worldly.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
Re: 4:34 grammar
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
That makes sense. Thank you :)
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)