Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are all types of Music allowed in Islam?

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
Are all types of Music allowed in Islam?
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
Salamun Alaikum dear Brother Joseph!  :)

First and foremost, I love your website and always will! Alhamdulillah, you have helped me a lot about Salat and other things, all your articles are 10/10. Keep doing this good job. - God bless.

Music is of course allowed, but what kind of Music is allowed according to Islam? I mean something that is allowed must also have some rules? So, can we get some hints from the Qur'an?

What are your opinions about this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QARFZm_K97g  |  Now many Muslims (Quranists) say that this is shirk.

EDIT: In the above song, Muhammad (pbuh) is called the best creation, what is your opinion on this?

Wassalam!
Ijaz, A.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
Re: Are all types of Music allowed in Islam?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »
Greetings IjazAhmad.

May I contribute  a little reflection on this topic?

I am always wary of what others say or are asking me to say!!!

So let us give a little thought to the phrase " Allahumma salli wa sallam..." What does it really mean?

What are we asking for now?

When the prophet -pboh- was alive, Allah and his angels" Wusalluna alla nabi"" meaning they helped and supported him , so  those  who believed  should have "sallu alaihi" i.e helped and supported him also .
Now that he is no longer with us how can we "salli alaihi"?
To me it does not make sense. Meaningless words uttered without proper understanding. It is like "parroting" phrases.

So the song in question is meaningless, however if one wants to listen to the music because they like the beat, it is a choice.

I suppose the intention behind what we do is very important. There is nothing wrong with clean art,whether music or other.

Having said that ,a lot of music is fine and enjoyable. GODs gift to us.

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »
33:56

إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ يَا أَيُّهَا

الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا
33:56
Surely Allah and His angels bless the Prophet; O you who believe! call for (Divine) blessings on him and salute him with a (becoming) salutation.
------------------------------------
In the above Ayah Allah & His Angeles bless the Prophet Mohammad & Allah has asked the believers to do the same.

May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
The Salawath to be sent as per Allah's directive is being expressed in singing way which is pleasant to hear. There is nothing wrong in doing so.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:39 AM »
Greetings  Sardar.

How are you brother?

Thank you for your posts.

Brother, " Sallawat" does not mean blessing?

The word " Baraqat" means blessing.

Sallawat in that verse means helping/supporting. GOD and His Angels helped/supported the prophet, the believers were asked to help and support him also during his lifetime.

We cannot do " sallawat" for him as he is no longer with us? The best support /help we can do is to follow the message which is Qoran.

Brother, there is another verse which asked the believers not to "raise their voices " above that of the prophet. Does that apply to us now?

Of course it does not.

GOD bless you .
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
Bro Good Logic Pl go through Bro Joseph Islams Article" PBUH" Peace Be Upon him.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »
Peace Sardar.

Thank you for your advice.

I am aware of brother Joseph s article. However I disagree with "send blessings" as a translation  of " Yussalluna"?

God  can indeed"sends blessing" " Yussalli"  but How can the believers " send blessings"  "sallu" ?

" Yuassalluna" in that verse makes sense with the meaning of "help/support".

Also if you read further, brother Joseph clarifies for you the true message " not to distinguish" between the messengers!

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.

Offline Sword

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:34 AM »
Dear Sardar,

Salamun alaykum.

I have to say that I agree with brother good logic. If you look at Muhammad Asad's translation of 33:56, you will see that unlike most other translators, he has translated 'wasallimoo tasleeman' as 'and give yourselves up [to his guidance] in utter self-surrender!'

Muhammad Asad

Verily, God and His angels bless the Prophet:
[hence,] O you who have attained to faith, bless
him and give yourselves up [to his guidance] in
utter self-surrender! (33:56)

www.islamawakened.com/quran/33/56/default.htm

You will find the same phrase 'wayusallimoo tasleeman' in 4:65. But surprisingly in 4:65, all translators have rendered this phrase to mean as to 'give themselves up [to it] in utter self-surrender / submit with full submission.'

You can check this up over here:

www.islamawakened.com/quran/4/65/default.htm

Regards.

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
Salaam all,

I understand the point that once someone has passed, there is nothing you can do to help them but
The Quran instructs us to wish peace upon the prophets who passed away. A few examples are:

37:78-79
And left for him [favorable mention] among later generations:"Peace upon Noah among the worlds."

37:108-109
And We left for him [favorable mention] among later generations:"Peace upon Abraham."

Clearly the instructions are for later generations to remember the prophets of old and as we are told not to distinguish, we should wish them all peace.