Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Verse 39:55 Issues

Offline Star

• View Profile
Verse 39:55 Issues
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Bonjour and salam:)

"And follow the best of what was revealed to you from your Lord before the punishment comes upon you suddenly while you do not perceive"--39.55

Isn't all of the Quran "the best"?

So why is it saying to specifically follow the best of what God revealed? Everything that God revealed is the best, right?

I'd like to know the opinions of other forum members on this issue:)

Offline zara

• View Profile
Re: Verse 39:55 Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
Salam Mia,
I think the verse is asking us to follow the best meaning of what has been revealed.

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:20 AM »
Peace mia.

According to the context, GOD is asking us to follow His commandments and instructions which is the "best path"- Ahssana ma unzila ilaikum-:

39:54
You shall obey your Lord, and submit to Him totally, before the retribution overtakes you, then you cannot be helped.
وَأَنيبوا إِلىٰ رَبِّكُم وَأَسلِموا لَهُ مِن قَبلِ أَن يَأتِيَكُمُ العَذابُ ثُمَّ لا تُنصَرونَ
39:55
And follow the best path that is pointed out for you by your Lord, before the retribution overtakes you suddenly when you least expect it.
وَاتَّبِعوا أَحسَنَ ما أُنزِلَ إِلَيكُم مِن رَبِّكُم مِن قَبلِ أَن يَأتِيَكُمُ العَذابُ بَغتَةً وَأَنتُم لا تَشعُرونَ
39:56
Lest a soul may say, "How sorry I am for disregarding God's commandments; I was certainly one of the mockers."
أَن تَقولَ نَفسٌ يٰحَسرَتىٰ عَلىٰ ما فَرَّطتُ فى جَنبِ اللَّهِ وَإِن كُنتُ لَمِنَ السّٰخِرينَ

GOD bless you.
Peace
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »
Bonjour and salam:)

"And follow the best of what was revealed to you from your Lord before the punishment comes upon you suddenly while you do not perceive"--39.55

Isn't all of the Quran "the best"?

So why is it saying to specifically follow the best of what God revealed? Everything that God revealed is the best, right?

I'd like to know the opinions of other forum members on this issue:)

My thoughts are that the Quran not only contains guidance but it also contains good news, warnings, things about historical events, laws, parables and certain phenomena about the physical universe which we can use science to discover and learn about.

I believe "follow the best of what was revealed" refers to the guidance God has given us in the Quran. There are things which we can do which will please God like giving regular charity, praying regular, being humble, etc. and there are things which we can do which will bring us nearest to him (like what many of the prophets did), things which will make us stand out on the Day of Judgment such as suffering in the name of God, going out of our way to help others, forgiving those who have wronged us, etc.

So in short the Quran contains different kinds of things but what we are meant to follow is the guidance which is contained in the Quran. The other things in the Quran we can use to strengthen our belief, learn about our universe and lives, get a better understanding of this reality, etc.

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:58:44 AM »
So it's just saying to follow God's commandments correctly?

God's revelation includes the Quran, Bible, etc., but the Bible and other books have been corrupted. So it's possible that this verse is telling us to follow only the Quran?

... :)

Offline samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
So it's just saying to follow God's commandments correctly?

God's revelation includes the Quran, Bible, etc., but the Bible and other books have been corrupted. So it's possible that this verse is telling us to follow only the Quran?

... :)

I wouldn't say "follow God's commandments correctly" but more of "follow Gods guidance and aim to do the best rather than just the minimum". My thoughts are that the verse is addressing the pagans in the Meccan region as the Prophet Mohammed was sent to them. If the pagans had not accepted the Quran and obeyed the messenger then they would have been destroyed just as the people of Aad and Thamud. Lucky for them I think most believed. Some of those that did not believe or some of the hypocrites that did not believe as they should have were condemned to hell. This for me means that when God is sending a revelation you better believe, it's extremely serious. I personally believe that when nations have gone astray God is more lenient as they are usually blindly following their fore fathers and have become oblivious to rational reasoning and common sense. Which is why God says in the Quran that had he punished the Quraish without sending them a messenger they would have asked God why he did so without sending one down to guide them. Yet when God does send Mohammed as a messenger they did just as the other nations did and mock and ridicule him.

It's ironic that even though the Quran describes the above clearly the vast majority of Muslims are doing the same today. They blindly follow traditions started by their fore fathers or things which they desire which are not in the Quran. Yet they claim to follow the Quran and they revere it so much. So when the Day of Judgement arrives I believe it's going to be especially hard for the Muslims because the Quran is clear, it's very well known and there is no thought of it being corrupt. So what excuse can us "Muslims" give?

When it comes to the other books we first need to split the Bible into the Gospel of Jesus and the Torah. These 2 books which God refers to in the Quran,  God never says they have been corrupted. I think God says that the People of the Book change the words from their right places which I think means misquote from the book to use it for their own needs. God in the Quran tells the Jews to judge by their book so I doubt God would tell them to judge using a corrupted book. The Gospel of Jesus which I believe are the words of Jesus contained in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John seem fine to me. Jesus never says he is God or to worship him. But if you read the other canons of the Bible then you'll not find quotes from Jesus just the authors opinions. Some of the words are OK but some seem dubious such as those of Saul.