Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Prepositions

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
Prepositions
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Hi everyone :) Can anyone (esp. Wakas please) list the definitions of each of these prepositions? They seem to be used differently in every verse. It's confusing.

'ala (this one appears to have about 10 different usages and it's driving me crazy)
min
lil

Thank you in advance. I don't understand Arabic; I just learned to read and write, like most of us.
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
Re: Prepositions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »
You will get the possible meanings from any reasonable Arabic grammar book or website. Try google first see what comes up.

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »
I did look them up. About ten times. And I got different definitions each time. Additionally, they are used differently in several verses.
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
I do not think you will find a source stating that a certain preposition can only have one meaning in all contexts. Of course some sites will try to simplify things to make things easier.

I googled and these were reasonable:
http://quickestwaytoquran.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-quickest-way-to-quran-lesson-21.html
(this also tells you the frequency in Quran)

http://thewordcollector2.tumblr.com/post/24399924177/arabic-preposition-list-1

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »
Thank you :)