Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 24:45

Offline Star

• View Profile
24:45
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »
This verse says all living things were created from water. What about jinn and angels? They were created respectively from fire and light--this is an apparent contradiction, but there must be an explanation. Was this verse referring only to things that we perceive as living, such as people and animals?

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: 24:45
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »
Salaam mia666,

With respect to your question I, personally, don't believe that there can ever be correct answer to. I say that because I, personally, don't know if ever (here on earth) we will come in-contact with the Jinn or the Angel so as to know their anatomy (biologically).

That said, I don't believe that there is a contradiction between the Quran stating that all living beings are created from water (24:45) while also stating that the Jinn were created from fire and the Angels from light. It is possible that those two being, though created from and composed of different elements, may very well have water (whatever the percentage) in their system.

Furthermore, with respect to the claim of the Jinn being created from fire, I share the sentiment of joseph Islam when he states that: "Contrary to popular belief, the composition elements of the Jinn do not necessarily allude to a literal understanding of fire. There is indeed some semblance of fire (nar), but it is primarily a description used by the Quran to best describe to a 7th century Arab audience, a substance which they may not be familiar with."

http://quransmessage.com/articles/jinn%20FM3.htm

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »
That's true. I've heard the theory that the source for jinn's fuel (because they're probably made of fire) might be water. After all, smokeless fire is not like the fire we know, it might be based on water.

Regarding the article, it provided interesting info about jinn. I'm reserving judgement on whether they're actually made of fire or not.

I want to convey my appreciation to everyone on this forum for being helpful and not hesitating to answer my (often nonsensical) questions. It's been very enlightening.  8)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:52:48 AM »
Dear respected readers,

As-salamu alaykum

The Quran does not say 'every living being' as is being respectfully implied in this thread. The Quran uses the Arabic word 'daaba' which is a reference to 'moving creatures' which is a reference to specific creatures as shared below in the following article [1] below.

Please see an excerpt from the article:

"And God has created every moving creature (Arabic: dabbatin) from water. Of them there are some that creep on their bellies and some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. God creates what He wills for verily God has power over all things"

Da'aba comes from the root word: Dal-Ba-Ba which means to go gently, crawl, creep or walk. The word captures whatsoever moves on the earth, especially that of animals - beasts of burden, quadrupeds and any moving creature whether insects, birds or mankind. This ability to move is implicit in the meaning of the term 'Da'aba'.

Daabatun (n.): Moving creature; Crawling animal.
Dawaabbun (n.plu.): Crawling animals.

These kind of water based, moving living creatures have been spread throughout the Universe (42:29).

"And one of His signs is the creation of the Heavens and the Earth and what He has spread forth in both of them (Arabic: fi-hima) of living beings (Arabic: Da'aba); and when He pleases He is all-powerful to gather them together"

This not a reference to the 'jinn' or 'angels'.

I hope this clarifies, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] A CREATURE FROM THE EARTH
http://quransmessage.com/articles/creature%20FM3.htm
[2] DO ALIEN'S EXIST
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20aliens%20exist%20FM3.htm
[3] THE JINN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/jinn%20FM3.htm
[4] ANGELS (MALA'IKAH)
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/284730018330799
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
Salam :)

That clarifies the matter. All the translators said it meant "living", so I guess that was misleading. A lot of words have multiple meanings but translators disregard many of them.

This verse is in context of our universe and everything native to it, so it was probably talking about creatures on earth like you said.

I haven't seen the article on the earth creature before. I'm going to read it once I get a chance, I was curious about this actually.

Mariyah

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »
Dear respected readers,

As-salamu alaykum

The Quran does not say 'every living being' as is being respectfully implied in this thread. The Quran uses the Arabic word 'daaba' which is a reference to 'moving creatures' which is a reference to specific creatures as shared below in the following article [1] below.

Please see an excerpt from the article:

"And God has created every moving creature (Arabic: dabbatin) from water. Of them there are some that creep on their bellies and some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. God creates what He wills for verily God has power over all things"

Da'aba comes from the root word: Dal-Ba-Ba which means to go gently, crawl, creep or walk. The word captures whatsoever moves on the earth, especially that of animals - beasts of burden, quadrupeds and any moving creature whether insects, birds or mankind. This ability to move is implicit in the meaning of the term 'Da'aba'.

Daabatun (n.): Moving creature; Crawling animal.
Dawaabbun (n.plu.): Crawling animals.

These kind of water based, moving living creatures have been spread throughout the Universe (42:29).

Assalamu alaikum Brother Joseph,

While 24:45 has no phrase like "every living thing" in it, 21:30 actually does have that phrase "kulla shayin hayyin" ! What about this ayat then ?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam Ilker,

The complete (every - kull) ‘hayy’ life / living / alive entities that are being referred to in verse 21:30 have been elucidated in verse 24:45 as a reference to ‘Da’aba’ (moving tangible creatures).  This is not a reference to unseen entities such as the Jinn or angels.

As I trust that you are familiar, the Quran often elucidates / clarifies summary verses as part of its thematic structure providing context.

Even God is referred to ‘hayy’ (life / living entity) in the Quran in verses 25:58 and 40:65. Surely as I trust that you will appreciate, verse 21:30 then does not mean that He is also made of water by virtue of the phrase 'kull' (every / all). He cannot be created of something He has created.

I trust that clarifies.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »
thanks for the explanation. Of course i didn't think of Allah himself Alhamdulillah, since He said "We ... made from every living thing from water". :)