Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 9:61

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
9:61
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
Peace brother Joseph and all,

"He is all ears."   Why is this a source of grief for the Prophet?  There are several interpretive translations with subtle differences in meaning like:

He will listen to anything
He only listens
He is unquestioning
He is the one who believes everything that he hears
He gives ear to all
He is just an ear
He believes what he hears
He is only a hearer

What is your understanding of this verse?  Why is he being belittled?

Thanks in advance for your input.

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline islamist

• View Profile
Re: 9:61
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Salaam!

It could be 'He gives ear to all' and all other interpretations can not be attributed to prophet and I do not think anyone can make such an objection against prophet.   

The prophet is being belittled, may be, by claiming that since he gives ear to all it is easy for him to get fooled.  The verse clarifies further that  (just because the prophet gives ear to all it does not mean he is easy to get fooled)  the prophet believes in Allah and His laws and has complete faith in the Believers (i.e. he wants to give equal importance to all types of people by listening to all and you better know that he is not going to be influenced by the views of others).

;)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »
Peace,

The verse clarifies further that  (just because the prophet gives ear to all it does not mean he is easy to get fooled)  the prophet believes in Allah and His laws and has complete faith in the Believers (i.e. he wants to give equal importance to all types of people by listening to all and you better know that he is not going to be influenced by the views of others).

Exactly, this is my understanding, too.  Why is this even an issue?  Was the Prophet ever bothered by what they said that God had to clarify his position?
Maybe I'm reading more than there is to be read!

Thanks for your reply, brother

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline islamist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »
Peace,

The verse clarifies further that  (just because the prophet gives ear to all it does not mean he is easy to get fooled)  the prophet believes in Allah and His laws and has complete faith in the Believers (i.e. he wants to give equal importance to all types of people by listening to all and you better know that he is not going to be influenced by the views of others).

Exactly, this is my understanding, too.  Why is this even an issue?  Was the Prophet ever bothered by what they said that God had to clarify his position?
Maybe I'm reading more than there is to be read!

Thanks for your reply, brother

Salaam!

I think the issue here is serious because spreading false information and misrepresentation can make an impact among the people and such tactics could divert the people away from Islam.  Personally, prophet would not bother any personal insult from anyone (there are many instances  like, prophet paying a visit to a Jewish girl who insulted her when she fell sick, not taking any action against those who threw stones at him, etc), but if it is something related to misrepresentation of his character and personality,  likely to cause hurdles in the propagation of true faith, then, I believe, it would become, more than being personal insult, an offense against the Islamic state and hence a serious issue.  It is pertinent to note the strong warning in the verse as, "And those who annoy the Messenger of God shall have a grievous punishment."

Just I am thinking with you..
:)

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:04 AM »
Peace Islamist,

You are correct.  Thanks for making me understand better!  God bless

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
I think the issue here is serious because spreading false information and misrepresentation can make an impact among the people and such tactics could divert the people away from Islam.  Personally, prophet would not bother any personal insult from anyone (there are many instances  like, prophet paying a visit to a Jewish girl who insulted her when she fell sick, not taking any action against those who threw stones at him, etc), but if it is something related to misrepresentation of his character and personality,  likely to cause hurdles in the propagation of true faith, then, I believe, it would become, more than being personal insult, an offense against the Islamic state and hence a serious issue.  It is pertinent to note the strong warning in the verse as, "And those who annoy the Messenger of God shall have a grievous punishment."

Great thoughts with which I respectfully concur. Thanks for sharing  :)

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline islamist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
Salaam!

Thank you all for the comments.

A special thanks for HOPE for making us ponder over the verse.   I was discussing this verse with a friend of mine.  And he was asking me what about majority of Muslims who believe - based on secondary sources - that the prophet married a six year old girl at his age 54. And Isn't it a more serious issue of annoying the prophet than what is mentioned in this verse?   According to me, there is this danger of relying on secondary sources as an infallible source of guidance and also making it as a source (unknowingly) to belittle the character and personality of a messenger of  Allah.   This verse should serve as a warning to us - all muslims - and all Muslims must take care not to promote such stories due to the possibility of  getting "double punishment" (16:25) on the Day of Judgment.

We can only pray to Allah to show us and all Muslims the right path always. 

Islamist

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
Peace brother Joseph and all,

"He is all ears."   Why is this a source of grief for the Prophet?  There are several interpretive translations with subtle differences in meaning like:

He will listen to anything
He only listens
He is unquestioning
He is the one who believes everything that he hears
He gives ear to all
He is just an ear
He believes what he hears
He is only a hearer

What is your understanding of this verse?  Why is he being belittled?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dear Hope,

May peace be with you.

I feel verse 9:61 needs to be read in the backdrop of verse 63:4 and other related verses where it becomes clear that the Prophet was a trusting man that gave ear with the best of intentions as clarified by verse 9:61.

However, at times this well meaning nature of the Prophet was exploited by 'some' who were intent to intentionally beguile him. This is why God clearly warned him to remain vigilant.

"And when you see them their figures / bodies please you; and if they speak you listen (give ear) to their speech. (They are) as though they were blocks / pieces of wood propped up. They deem every shout to be against them. They are the enemy, so beware of them. May God destroy them ! How they are deluded / perverted!"

The warning is strapped with the underlying premise that the Prophet did have the potential to be deceived by the speech of some who were likened to 'pieces of propped wood'. Hence, one notes the wider warning for the Prophet to beware coupled with the threat of a grevious punishment to others that attempted to deceive the Prophet. (9:63; 63:4).

In another verse, we note a tacit warning directly to the Prophet in more explicit terms and how at times he had to be strengthened.

017:074-75
"And had We not given you (Muhammad) strength, you would nearly have inclined to them a little. In that case We would have made you taste double portion (of punishment) in this life, and double (punishment) after death: and moreover you would have found none to help you against Us!" 

I hope that this helps, God willing.
Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 01:53:48 AM »
Peace brother Joseph,

So, the moral of the story in light of 63:4 is always be on your guard (isn’t this taqwa?) against the appearances that come with the potential of deception in them.  Their masked elegant speech serves like a magnet. Once you are hooked on to their speech, they make you feel guilty for being suspicious of their double dealing. (munafiqun)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »
Peace brother Joseph,

So, the moral of the story in light of 63:4 is always be on your guard (isn’t this taqwa?) against the appearances that come with the potential of deception in them.  Their masked elegant speech serves like a magnet. Once you are hooked on to their speech, they make you feel guilty for being suspicious of their double dealing. (munafiqun)

Absolutely dear sister. (Always retain the capacity to discern and as they say 'never judge a book by its cover' :) )
George Orwell

Offline islamist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 04:29:36 AM »
In another verse, we note a tacit warning directly to the Prophet in more explicit terms and how at times he had to be strengthened.

017:074-75
"And had We not given you (Muhammad) strength, you would nearly have inclined to them a little. In that case We would have made you taste double portion (of punishment) in this life, and double (punishment) after death: and moreover you would have found none to help you against Us!" 

Salaam!

Firstly I would like state that I won’t be posting any further clarification/ comments.  But I would appreciate Bro. Joseph Islam's further comments.  This is my last post in this thread.

With utmost respect, and without any intention to get into any argument, I believe I must state a few comments here since, I am afraid, an impression is made here to mean Allah deliberately interfered and strengthened the prophet from committing a wrong doing, i.e. if the prophet had not been strengthened by Allah externally, the prophet would have been inclined to them! 

According to me such an understanding is problematic and the verse only means that it is the Law of return, and the prophet's own strength that he gained by remaining steadfast in Allah's laws that prevented the prophet from getting inclined toward them, and hence it is attributed to Allah.  There is no question of any implication of interference by Allah against prophet’s will. 

The prophet is actually commanded;  “And do not incline towards, nor rely upon, those who are bent on evildoing lest the fire [of the hereafter] touch you: for [then] you would have none to protect you from God, nor would you ever be succoured [by Him] (11:113).  Also the verse,  “They would like thee to be soft [with them],  so that they might be soft [with thee]” (68:9)

Here is also some of the supporting verses to show that it is nothing but Law of returns that strengthened the prophet's heart not to incline toward them; 

And We strengthened their hearts with patience, when they stood up and said: Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth; we will by no means call upon any god besides Him, for then indeed we should have said an extravagant thing. (18:14)

And those who disbelieve say: Why has not the Quran been revealed to him all at once? Thus, that We may strengthen your heart by it and We have arranged it well in arranging. (25:32)

For, Believers are those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a tremor in their hearts, and when they hear His signs rehearsed, find their faith strengthened, and put (all) their trust in their Lord;  (8:2)

And the heart of the mother of Musa (Moses) became empty [from every thought, except the
thought of Musa (Moses)]. She was very near to disclose his (case, i.e. the child is her son), had We not strengthened her heart (with Faith), so that she might remain as one of the believers. (28:10)

And if We had ordered them (saying), "Kill yourselves (i.e. the innocent ones kill the guilty ones) or leave your homes," very few of them would have done it; but if they had done what they were told, it would have been better for them, and would have strengthened their (Faith); (4:66)

And if We had prescribed for them: Lay down your lives or go forth from your homes, they would not have done it except a few of them; and if they had done what they were admonished, it would have certainly been better for them and best in strengthening (them); (4:66)

Peace!

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:44:44 AM »
Peace Islamist,

28:10 could be interpreted as the mother of Moses was so distressed regarding the fate of her infant that she may have become ecstatic to realize the safety of the child thus needed help to restrain her joy and remain patient.  It is a normal human reaction when released from anxiety.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 06:00:12 AM »
Sorry for the continuation, hit the post button prematurely.

the mother's heart may have needed strengthening with extra faith if she did not find out the fate of Moses;  then she would be  only hoping for the best without knowing if he was alive or not.  That is total reliance on God.  It was not the case.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:35 AM »
Dear Islamist.

May peace be with you.

There is much I can share on this matter. However, given our apparent theological impasse on recent matters and our clear theological differences which is once again underscored in the manner you have positioned your last post to me (as a commentary depicting a fixed thought), I feel there is no point debating / discussing our views.

Therefore, may I kindly request that you respectfully grant me leave in participating in discussions with you which I respectfully feel have no intention to be reconciled or harmonised.

I am sure there are many readers on this forum which enjoy your input as I do too which you will have noted in my recent comment to you in this thread commending a thought.

With utmost respect,

Your brother in faith
Joseph.  :)
George Orwell

Offline islamist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »
Peace Islamist,

28:10 could be interpreted as the mother of Moses was so distressed regarding the fate of her infant that she may have become ecstatic to realize the safety of the child thus needed help to restrain her joy and remain patient.  It is a normal human reaction when released from anxiety.

Salaam!

I need to make just one comment here.  Sorry I won't be responding or posting further.  This is a response to you only. 

In verse 28:10 it only means that the mother of Moses had complete Trust in Allah.  She knew that whatever she had been promised would be happening ultimately.  Ofcourse she was very much distressed but ultimately her faith and trust in Allah strengthened her and made her not to disclose. 

Please note,  if something happens according to nature/ as an inevitable result/ based on Allah’s will/  Law of returns, etc.  the Quran attributes such happenings/ incidents directly to Allah.  Just one single example would be sufficient.

In verse 3:152 it says (in part), "....after He had shown you that for which ye long.  Some of you desired the world, and some of you desired the Hereafter. Therefore He made you flee from them....."  

Do you think that Here Allah forcibly shown some people (against their will) the booty (actually even the reason why they attracted to booty is mentioned in the verse) and also do you think Allah made them to flee against their will???  It was all the inevitable consequences of the circumstances and state of mind of  some Muslims.   Moreover, just a few verses after this in 3:165 when Muslims wondered as how come they got setback,  Allah told the prophet to tell them, "Say (unto them, O Muhammad): It is from yourselves".    Therefore, a literal reading for verses like "Allah showed them booty" and "Allah made them flee" is not advisable.

Take care always

Assalamu alaikum