Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: what does the multiplicity in number of wives means?

Offline jav

• View Profile
what does the multiplicity in number of wives means?
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Salam!
                  IN surah nisa 4.3

The twos ,threes and fours indicate multiplicity ....
    Does this multiplicity shows lower multiples i-e less number of women ( twos ,threes and fours may indicate a level of multiples)? If it does then what is the possible range?
    or
    Does this means as many as one want  ?
If it is the latter case then there no check and a limitless number. ( which seems like is not possible practically)
   or
   Does this mean that multiple wives as required?
As this puts a limit but there is no such description , as one can have multiple wives as they need? and also how will then the word "need "be explained then ?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: what does the multiplicity in number of wives means?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
Dear Jav,

Wa alaikum assalam

Please see my article below which discusses this topic.

MARRYING FOUR WIVES IN ISLAM
http://quransmessage.com/articles/four%20wives%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps in some small way,

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline jav

• View Profile
Re: what does the multiplicity in number of wives means?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »
 Thank you for the reply ..May Allah bless you!
         I have read the article .The way i feel  , it seems like the purpose of this verse is not to tell how many wives one should or should not have i-e does not negate or promote having multiple wives . But tells that orphan should be given their right but if one fears this, then  one can have more than one wife other than the orphans and be just in case of multiple wives but if can not do so then marry one women or that your right hand possess .
         But when this verse was discussed among people explanation in reference to your article was ,it was questioned about multiplicity . And explanation was given in context to verse 35.1 , as in your article. And was further questioned that it means , its possible to have  to have 6 or 7 or 15 ? In this way,yes, it is possible then. But no one agreed and said this stuff was made i-e about multiplicity .
        Is it possible; that twos , threes and fours,  as smaller numbers might indicate a FEW number  in arabic literature or there could be bigger word used like in seven,eight or tens. If this" twos ,threes and fours" is used together as indicating multiplicity then for what number of substances is this used ?If its  possible for you to give some more example in context of using this combination of numbers or some others!
     ALLAH KNOWS THE BEST.