Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Impact of lost in translation if chosen to pray in non-arabic language?

Offline Ruquaiya

• View Profile
As Salaamun Alaikum Brother,

Sharing the questions below for the benefit of the wider readership who may have similar questions.

1. I completely agree with your views on  that you connect way better if you pray in your first language/mother tongue  than a foreign language you barely comprehend. Agreeably, best utterances from the way to praise your Lord, thank Our Creator or even ask for our needs can best be derived from the Quran itself, offcourse there is no restriction on me praying in the words I  feel best connected to my Lord. Now what concerns me is you appreciate it as well Quran being revealed in Arabic and we  agree that a translation remains a mere translation, though not much is lost in translation... I fear I am not doing any innovation/or any disrespect if I am borrowing some verses from the Quran which I really feel connected to contemplating about my past and in the remembrance of the Hereafter, as part of my daily prayers, though offcourse I will refer multiple translations and  try to use the best meaning, I have a question, if you could please address- Would anything that is lost in translation constitute a sin on my part too? as not best conveyed had it been in the original Arabic text coz my source is translations though am striving to learn Arabic, Insha'Allah because I chose to pray in English now on as I understand the language and relate to it better than any other language. 
Your opinion is highly valuable. I read the prayer section articles and overwhelming impressed with your analysis, you are so blessed Masha'Allah.

2. I read my compass wrong and was praying in a wrong direction(north) for last 1.5 months, Would it be advisable to make up for the past prayers, though it was completely unintentional. Brother am I destined to hell for this I saw such scary visions all days I prayed in wrong direction during my prayers, I seek forgiveness and seriously repent for what I did. I cant claim ignorance to Allah on the day of Judgement.
Is praying in the wrong direction unintentionally an unforgivable sin?
Should I make up for the prayers I prayed in the wrong direction offcourse they wont be accepted for violating the minimum requirement of the prayer.
I am feeling terribly guilty about it. Please advise. I would really really appreciate, thanks a lot, please respond at your best convenience.

Regards,
Ruquaiya

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Dear Ruquaiya,

Wa alaikum assalam

Welcome to the forum!

I have answered your questions below.

RESPONSE 1

In my humble view, the need for a language is to best capture one’s emotions and sentiments in front of their Lord. It does not matter what language this is conveyed in, as long as they are connected to it, whether through translations or else. The intention is to communicate effectively.  [1], [2].

The problem starts when one utters words that they do not understand nor know the meaning of. This would arguably be no different than to pray in a state of 'sukara' (mind befogged), which God has warned against. Prayer should only be approached when one knows what they are saying.

004:043 (part)
“O ye who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged (Arabic Sukara), until ye can understand all that ye say..

Therefore, as long as one is capturing the gist of their emotions and sentiments, whether this is through a combination of their own prayers or those from the Quran [3] (in Arabic or through translations), the purpose of prayer is complete (i.e. to worship, remember and submit to your Lord). The rest only God knows best.

It is noteworthy, that in matters of religion God only asks one to do their best:

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

The Arabic word 'istata'a' means to be able, can or to be capable of. Therefore, given the above verse, one is only expected to the best they can whilst striving in the way of God. [4]

RESPONSE 2:

In my humble view from a Quran's perspective, the context you have shared and with regards religious matters in the main, it is useful to note a couple of verses which speak about those actions that are done unintentionally.

"...And there is no blame for you in the mistakes that you make unintentionally, but what your hearts intended (that will be a sin for you). And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful...." (33:5 - part)

Please also see verses 2:225 and 5:89.

Therefore, I would not feel that it would be necessary to make up the prayers in such a context. However, any supplementary prayers in God's worship from the heart as a general rule, can only be a positive thing, in my humble view.

However, one should also not become overburdened with relentless prayer as God does recognise that believers have other tasks to fulfil too. The best approach is moderation.

073:020
"Indeed your Lord knows that you pass in prayer nearly two-thirds of the night, and (sometimes) half of it, and (sometimes) a third of it, and (also) a group of those with you; and God measures the night and the day. He knows that you are not able to count it, so He has turned to you (mercifully), therefore read / recite what is easy of the Quran. He knows that there will be among you sick, and others who travel in the land seeking of the bounty of God, and others who fight in God’s way, therefore read / recite as much of it as is easy (to you), and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and offer to God a goodly loan, and whatever of good you send on beforehand for yourselves, you will find it with God. It (will be) better and greater (in) reward. And ask forgiveness of God. Indeed God is Forgiving, Merciful."

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] DO WE HAVE TO PRAY IN ARABIC?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20we%20have%20to%20pray%20in%20arabic%20FM3.htm
[2] IS ARABIC A HOLY OR SUPERIOR LANGUAGE?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/is%20arabic%20a%20holy%20language%20FM3.htm
[3] SOME PRAYERS FROM THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/quranic%20prayers%20FM3.htm
[4] DO THE BEST YOU CAN WITH SINCERITY
http://quransmessage.com/articles/best%20you%20can%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell