Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Shirk Forgiveness

Offline Star

• View Profile
Shirk Forgiveness
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »
According to the Quran, shirk isn't forgiven if maintained until death. What if you don't realize you're doing it, like if you're raised in a Catholic household and you believe in the Trinity? Believing in the Trinity is shirk, but what if you don't know that? Would you get forgiven?

:)

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
Re: Shirk Forgiveness
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:47:28 AM »
Salam sister Mia,
The one who commits shirk is considered a disbeliever ("kafir") only after the clear truth has reached him/her and he/she still chooses not to accept it for any reason (pride, ago, arrogance, ...). The people will be judged according to the clarity of message that has reached them. Maybe youve seen them, but I think these articles would help you:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/apostasy%20FM3.htm
http://quransmessage.com/articles/understanding%20kufr%20FM3.htm
http://quransmessage.com/articles/people%20of%20the%20book%20FM3.htm

God bless you,
Seraphina :)
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »
Salam Seraphina :)

I've seen these articles before and they helped a lot. You're right, a person is only considered a disbeliever when they've rejected the message, and only considered a believer when they'be believed in it. ;)

However, if you consider a person who isn't a believer or a disbeliever, who unknowingly commits shirk, is this a sin on their part? They don't know that they're doing something wrong, right?

What are your thoughts on that? ^ (= > w < =) ^

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:28 AM »
Salam lovely sister,
If you have examined holy book carefuly, you will see that for every punishment prescribed, it is stressed out that if an evil is commited unknowingly (you dont know it is forbidden) or unintentionally/accidentaly, God doesnt account it as a sin :) he only accounts as a sin when you know what youre doing, and you still choose to do it. To be responsible for something, you must have been aware of what youre doing, otherwise that person has no idea what hes beeing accounted for, right?
See this verse:
"When those come to thee who believe in Our signs, Say: "Peace be on you: Your Lord has inscribed for Himself (the rule of) mercy (Arabic: Kataba ala nafsihi): surely, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amends (his conduct), lo! He is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful"
017:15
"Whoever goes right, then he goes right only for the benefit of his ownself. And whoever goes astray, then he goes astray to his own loss. No one laden with burdens can bear another's burden. And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger (to give warning)."
I guess these are enough to form the opinion that God never punished people if a warning didnt reach them. They were only considered guilty if they received clear warning and refused it.
God bless
Seraphina
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
Thanks for your clarification

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:29 AM »
Salam Sister Seraphina,
I typed up a longer reply, but it seems to have disappeared...don't know what happened lol. I said that shirk can take many forms, like taking evil desires for gods, for instance, if you drink alcohol while knowing it's wrong then you might be comitting shirk by following your vain desires...if you get what I'm saying

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
Oh my goodness, I have no idea what just happened! My previous reply had 2 paragraphs, but one of them disappeared again! Lol, oh well...so, continuing what I was saying: I reread some Quranic verses about shirk, and it appears that many of them talk about committing it knowingly. From this, I think you're absolutely right--you only get punished for it if you know you're doing it. Thnx

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »
Salaam mia666,

With respect to some of your comments being deleted partially or completely, I think I may be able to offer you an advice:
Once you've written out your comment/s and have submitted it, refresh the page two or three times.

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
Salam Sister Seraphina,
I typed up a longer reply, but it seems to have disappeared...don't know what happened lol. I said that shirk can take many forms, like taking evil desires for gods, for instance, if you drink alcohol while knowing it's wrong then you might be comitting shirk by following your vain desires...if you get what I'm saying

Wa alaikum salam sis :)
Even then we still have the hope to be forgiven.
039:53
"Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."
Its not just nonbelievers who sin :) Even the servants of Allah will sin from time to time, we are humans after all, and sometimes knowingly sometimes unknowingly we will transgress. But if we ask for forgivenes, He will forgive us :)

P.S. Example: Adam knew what he was doing, he sinned knowingly by obeying his own desire, and yet once he and Eve repented, Allah forgave them.
God bless,
Seraphina

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 01:13:37 AM »
Salam Seraphina :)

Yes, that's true...He forgives everyone, and He doesn't punish anyone for accidental sin. This applies to shirk as well, thankfully.

Mariyah ♥