Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Fate of idolaters

Offline Sri

• View Profile
Fate of idolaters
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
Salaamun alaykum,
This is something I have always wondered about. Until Islam 9or perhaps Christianity), monotheism was just confined to the Jewish people. Even after Islam, there were many communities that did not get the message for a long time. What about polytheists and idolaters who lived in those times and places? Will they be punished for Shirk?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Fate of idolaters
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam Sri

Welcome to the forum.

It is noteworthy that even in a state of war, peaceful idolaters were expected to be protected and taken to a safe place in order that they could hear the message of God. As God explained 'because they are a people / folk who do not know'. If this was the care and attention the Almighty expected for those who simply didn't know any better regarding their beliefs, it is inconceivable that people will simply be punished for beliefs against which they had not received a better argument or manifestation of truth.

009:006
“And if anyone of the idolaters seeks thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of God, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who do not know

Therefore only God knows the fate of those idolaters to whom truth was not clearly manifested. There is also support for this view in another verse where Pharaoh asks a similar question “…what then is the case of the generations of old?” arguably referring to his forefathers that held similar wayward beliefs as him (20:51). Prophet Moses responded “…Its knowledge is with my Lord in a Record. My Lord neither errs nor forgets” (20:52).

However, it is also important to bear in mind that one is arguably expected to ponder for themselves too and not to remain automatons, blindly following the footsteps of their forefathers. Prophet Abraham didn't need any human being to teach / tell him that there can only be One Master / God of the Universe. He was able to determine this through pondering over the Universe for himself and deduce the truth, going against what his forefather's believed. (6:75-81)

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] UNDERSTANDING 'KUFR' (DISBELIEF) FROM A QURANIC PERSPECTIVE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/understanding%20kufr%20FM3.htm
[2] FOLLOWING THE 'KUFFAR' (DISBELIEVERS)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/following%20the%20kuffar%20FM3.htm
[3] ARE SOME ‘MUSLIMS’ OF TODAY ANY DIFFERENT FROM THE QURAISH (MUSHRIKEEN) OF OLD?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/are%20the%20muslims%20of%20today%20any%20different%20from%20the%20quraish%20of%20old%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Yes, it does help, thank you  :) Anyone who can think for himself can realize that God cannot be representd in a form, if by God, one understands Him to be the first cause.

Offline Sri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
On a related issue, what about Trinitarian Christians? I have Catholic and Protestant friends, and they're good folk, so I can't easily imagine them going to hell. Anther thing is, I have found that in the Qur'an, idolatry is always mentioned with other sins. So the real reason idolatry is forbidden is that idolatrous religions enjoin injustice and corruption i.e., Fasaad?

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »
Salaam!
Good answer brother Joseph Islam..!!
Alhamdulillah always
Regards,
Optimist
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »
Greetings brothers and sisters.

GOD has blessed us with a  natural built-in instinct of monotheism to direct us towards God's perfect religion. Monotheism is Natural Instinct
[Qoran 30:30] Therefore, you shall devote yourself to the religion of strict monotheism. Such is the natural instinct placed into the people by God. Such creation of God will never change. This is the perfect religion, but most people do not know.

God has numerous means for us to recognize Him and choose Him as our only God. Means such as blessing us with ability to think and distinguish(55:4), sending scriptures and messengers (40:15)...

I suppose,  looking for excuses ,may also  be another natural instinct?

GOD bless you.
Peace.

Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:28 AM »
Bro Sri Welcome to QM Forum.Trinity is open Shirk for which they are answerable.All Christians are not believers of Trinity.Allah has sent Prophets in each and every nation on the Earth.The Hindus got messengers but nobody can say who were they but fact is Allah sent with clear truth that He is One.The customs & passage of time might have  made people to  become Idoltars like  Trinitarians  but several people  do believe in One God.Walahu Alam
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light