Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Bonus points (cashback bonus) from credit card ?

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Bonus points (cashback bonus) from credit card ?
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:58:02 AM »
Salamun alaikum brothers and sisters,

Do you think cashback rewards (money or shopping bonus points etc.) in credit/debit cards are permissible in Islam ? Does it count as "haram" money or "riba" ? What if the bank gives you this reward from the money it took from people under the name of "interest" ?

Offline sharon

• View Profile
Re: Bonus points (cashback bonus) from credit card ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Assalam alikum I am the opion that it's difficult to say I'm of the opion that it is only haram if you are charging someone instrest because I'm the view that if you are the victim then it is not haram and to say it's wrong because you don't know where that money has come from we would have to say that if someone gives you a gift then we would have to ask where that money come from would be rude so like I said it is difficult to say I go with the intention if your intention was to get instrest then that is probably wrong but if your intention was just to have a credit to use and use and don't be the victim then that's probably not wrong but like I said there are different of opions on this jazzakkallah

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:27:02 AM »
Salaam,

I think you can have a credit card if you pay your whole balance outright within a month. This would mean you would not
accrue any interest.

If you feel that cashback could be paid from interest taken from other customers then you can just take a card which has no such offers.

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
salam all

Alhamdulillah. Thanks for your responses. These special bonus points, cashback is so common here. Almost all credit/debit cards have these kind of shopping points. One can try to avoid using these points or cashback but what I want to know is if these are haraam from Islamic point of view. I would like to know your thoughts on this.

What if someone buys you a meal, you know as a gesture... And you somehow know that this person gets interests and doesn't avoid it. What about eating that meal ? Would you kindly refuse it ? What would you do ?