Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Rituals Associated with the Birth of a Child

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Rituals Associated with the Birth of a Child
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:33:31 AM »
Peace to you brother Joseph,

By the grace of Allah, I hope this finds you keeping well.

Dear brother, we have been blessed with a child in our family after much prayers to Allah. This happens to be our first grand child and therefore seek your guidance.

I would like to know if anything is mentioned in the Quran regarding the birth of a child? Is there anything we have to do like slaughtering a goat to feed the poor/ anything to be done while naming the child/ What about circumcision? I know there is no mention of this in Quran , but is it good to perform the same?

Dear brother I know you are a very busy person but always ready to offer your  guidance. Therefore, I look forward to hearing from you soon. Until then, you take care and may God bless and guide you in everything you set out to do.

With warm sisterly love & Prayers

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Rituals Associated with the Birth of a Child
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:22 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

Congratulations and may God bless the new born and all the family iA.

The Quran does not detail any specific rituals to be enacted after the birth of a child. However, there is nothing amiss with following healthy traditions of your culture which are not incongruent with Quranic teachings. I find that an offering of any sort for the sake of God in charity is a good practice which is within the spirit of the Quran. After all, it is not the offering itself that reaches God but the intent (22:37) and the birth of a child is a time of cheer and another opportunity to thank God for His immense gifts that He wishes to bestow on His servants.

Circumcision is not mandated by the Quran and thus not a 'Quranic religious prescription', but it may be a good tradition that you may consider following if you think it has certain benefits for the child.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell