Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Your wives, who are like my daughters, are permitted for you?????

Offline optimist

• View Profile
Salaam,

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=628.0

While going through the above thread, (I salute you brother Jospeh Islam for the explanation and the insight), I happened to read the interpretation given by Dr. Shabbir. 

Shabbir Ahmed   11:78
And the most iniquitous among his people came rushing to Lot. (They wanted the visiting messengers to approve their behavior.) Lot said, "O My people! Your wives, who are like my daughters, are permitted for you. Be mindful of God, and do not humiliate me in the presence of my guests. Is there not a single upright man among you?"

With all due respect to Dr. Shabbir,  I believe the underlined part totally contradicts what Quran has stated.  It goes against even logic  prophet Lut making such a comment in such a heightened state of emotion.  I completely agree with brother Jospeh Islam that it was a last ditch attempt from the part of prophet Lut to avert an imminent punishment.  According to me, even assuming prophet lut did not know about any imminent punishment, his comments were normal, (1) he was very much concerned about the safety of his guests and he was responsible to save them and to protect their honour (2) he knows from his experience that even if he offered his daughters they would not accept them which is clear from the very next verse, from their reply, "They said: "Well dost thou know we have no need of thy daughters: indeed thou knowest quite well what we want!".   

Many of our scholars, in their effort to "save"  prophet lut interpret the Quran differently.  I have noticed many use brackets to explain that his daughters were offered in marriage.   Anyhow, the interpretation given by Dr. Shabbir is very funny.

Regards
Optimist
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
Re: Your wives, who are like my daughters, are permitted for you?????
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:28:57 AM »
Salaam.

At an extremely critical juncture, Lot tells them “O my people, these, my daughters – they are purer for you…”

It was his last ditch effort to point out the truth to them so that they may take heed:

Reconcile to the truth that God has created women for men!

That man should seek women by way of universal custom (marriage), is understood, and goes without saying.

As Optimist rightly points out, Lot is in no way risking the modesty of his dignified daughters!

Optimist proves this by (11:79)!

God bless Optimist, Joseph A Islam, all members, and this Forum itself!

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Your wives, who are like my daughters, are permitted for you?????
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
Why should Bro Optimist may please ask Dr Shabbir about his translation on Ourbeacon Forum?
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light