Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Whether or Not to Accept Hadith and Reading the Quran

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Whether or Not to Accept Hadith and Reading the Quran
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:31:22 AM »
Assalam aleykum Mr. Joseph Islam,

With great interest I read your website. I converted two years ago to Islam. I studied enough Arabic to read Qur'an, but I do not have a clear position on whether to accept hadith or not.

A general question, what is in your perspective the best way to achieve inner peace? Is reading Qur'an in Arabic a cure for stress and anxiety, or additional prayers?

Converting to islam caused a lot of problems for me, it is a very difficult process.

I hope to hear from you.

With best regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Whether or Not to Accept Hadith and Reading the Quran
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:07 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

Thank you for your kind feedback. I guess the pivotal question is whether the Quran assigns ‘religious authority’ to any other source apart from itself. Of course, the Ahadith corpus is replete with wisdom of a people and thoughts which one may find questionable. However, the question of ‘authority’ is more pertinent than the question of ‘authenticity’ as I trust you will appreciate.

I have always believed that inner sentiments are best expressed in a language one best understands, preferably native. In my humble opinion, this also finds support from the Quran [1]. If an understanding or fluency of Arabic is one’s forte, then indeed its recitation will touch their heart as they will find God speaking with them directly iA. Otherwise, I would personally recommend the reading of the Quran in a language one best understands unless its Arabic recital incantantion spiritually moves one towards general remembrance of God.

“…No doubt in the remembrance of God do hearts find rest / satisfaction” (13:28)

I would also be inclined to extend such a sentiment to prayers. [2] If one cannot connect during one’s prayers, especially when one does not know what they are saying, the whole process can become almost robotic, automated and the whole exercise, arguably questionable.

We are all unique in what motivates us and it is here that silence of the Quran not to define pedantic form is oft misunderstood. The Quran often intends only to provide a framework from which to work from. Unfortunately, many have misconstrued this perceived lack of elaboration as a cue to ‘fill in the gaps’ with unwarranted information and practices in the name of religion.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.

REFERENCES

[1] IS ARABIC A HOLY OR SUPERIOR LANGUAGE?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/is%20arabic%20a%20holy%20language%20FM3.htm
[2] DO WE HAVE TO PRAY IN ARABIC?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/do%20we%20have%20to%20pray%20in%20arabic%20FM3.htm

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell