Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Islamic country or Muslim country - Food for thought.

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
Islamic country or Muslim country - Food for thought.
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:03:52 AM »
Salaam.

Click the following link, sit back, and think!:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/muslimindians/conversations/messages/52464

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Islamic country or Muslim country - Food for thought.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
Bro Ismail The link is not opening
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
Salaam.

The following is the text of the message:

Personal Message
Friday, December 13, 2013

I wholeheartedly agree with professor Hayee’s assessment of America as the most Islamic nation. I will go further to say that it is Americans who made America the way it is. Thus, the credit should go to the people, not to the country. This is consistent with the assessment of Sheikh Muhammad Abdu, the Muslim Egyptian Scholar. He went to study in France and when he returned to Egypt, he was asked: tell us about the French people? He answered: I saw Muslims without Islam; but here in Egypt, I see Islam without Muslims.

Professor Hayee compared America with Muslim Countries. But how about comparing our first generation of Muslim Americans, who immigrated to America from their Muslim counties, with fellow Americans. We, the first generations, have to learn a lot from fellow Americans in the same areas outlined by Prof. Hayee, and more! One obvious area is that most Muslim Americans never show up on time, while Americans never show up late!

Metwalli Amer
Prof. Emeritus

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:46 PM
To: Ras Siddiqui
Subject: Besides being our home the United States is WHAT ............?

I thought that I would share this with as many friends & family as possible during this Holiday Season.
Ras H. Siddiqui

The author is Imran Hayee and the website link is:
http://muslimwriters.org/2013/12/08/freedom-cleanliness-make-us-the-worlds-most-islamic-nation/
Freedom, cleanliness make US the world’s most Islamic nation
Over Thanksgiving dinner a friend asked me a usual question: “What are you thankful for today?”
My answer was rather unusual: “I am thankful to live in the most Islamic country of the world.”
With a stunned face, my friend instantly reacted, “America, the most Islamic country!?”
To alleviate his astonishment I tried to differentiate a Muslim country from an Islamic country. A country is a Muslim country if most of its residents call themselves Muslims but an Islamic country is one where most, if not all, Islamic values prevail, regardless of the size of its Muslim population.
Puzzled once again, he exclaimed, “What Islamic values?”
To elaborate, I highlighted fundamental Islamic values that sadly most Muslim countries are devoid of today but America still embraces.
My first example was cleanliness. Every Muslim knows Prophet Muhammad declared cleanliness equivalent to half of the Islamic faith. The Islamic concept of cleanliness ranges from personal hygiene to environmental well-being. Today no Muslim country — with or without oil money — can come close to the cleanliness standards we enjoy in America. America’s Environmental Protection Agency and Centers for Disease Control have unprecedented authority and latitude to ensure environmental safety and public health.
After cleanliness, I reverted to charitable giving, which is, in fact, one of the five pillars of Islam. Numerous verses of the Quran urge Muslims to help the needy and feed the hungry. No doubt Muslims around the world are generous in giving, but Americans simply outdo them. According to the World Giving Index, which ranks 153 countries across the globe for their charitable behavior, no Muslim country ever surpassed the U.S. America even topped the list in 2011.
My friend countered, “That’s because America is rich. Every year, Muslim countries raise hundreds of billions of dollars in charity.”
“True,” I acknowledged, “but corruption devours most of it.” I advanced my argument by quoting many verses from the Quran that demand Muslims show the utmost honesty, truthfulness and justice in all worldly and religious matters. However, the behavior of Muslim countries tells an opposite story. Many Muslim countries were ranked in the bottom 25 of 176 countries by the Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index of 2012. No Muslim country ranked in the top 25 least-corrupt countries, where America stood at 17th position.
My friend, who seemed to understand my viewpoint by now, questioned again: “Many other non-Muslim countries are better than America in the corruption index. Why is America the most Islamic country?”
“Religious freedom,” I answered without difficulty. America champions the highest standard of religious freedom, a lost Islamic value, protecting the rights of all human beings, regardless of their color or creed. Prophet Muhammad set the precedent for Muslims by writing the historic Charter of Medina when he founded the first Islamic state in 622. The Charter of Medina safeguarded fundamental human rights for all citizens living under one state, including Jews, Christians, Pagans and Muslims. Ironically, 1,400 years later, most Muslim countries treat their minorities as second-class citizens and allow chaotic Muslim mobs to burn churches and temples. Let alone minorities of other faiths, some Muslim sects who do not conform to their puritanical definition of Islam face brutal persecution. Today, Muhammad’s Charter of Medina is reflected in the U.S. Constitution. While some European countries have banned building minarets on Mosques and stopped Muslim women from wearing the Islamic veil, American courts have struck down any such attempts as unconstitutional.
My friend finally rested his questioning.
I am not sure if I convinced him, but I genuinely believe America is the most Islamic country in the world today, and I am so grateful that I live here. May God bless America!
By Imran Hayee  M. Imran Hayee is a professor and director of graduate studies in the electrical engineering department at the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Originally Published in the Duluth News Tribune

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »
Salaam.

Here is a further link on the same subject:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/muslimindians/conversations/messages/52466

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
Click the following link, sit back, and think!:
Salam!

Thank you for the post and nice to go through the text you have posted.

Actually it is a Quranic truth that, the humanity, ultimately, however long time it may take, by dint of its own experiments and observation, will ultimately reach the Divine Order which has the responsibility for nourishing all humanity.  Scholars like Parwez have given beautiful analysis of this fact based on the Quran.   I will briefly extract below (just some points only from a long discussion) some comments from The Quranic System Of Sustenance, written by G.A Parwez (to reduce the post I have omitted several points discussed, some points even from the middle of the discussion below)

In the last fourteen hundred years we have witnessed that humanity is gradually letting go of false ideals. We can see that humanity is gradually beginning to accept the same truths that the Quran has propounded all along.  As an example the Quran condemned monarchy as a falsehood fourteen hundred years ago.  It explained that no human had the right to rule another, and that people should adopt the principle of mutual consultation to manage their everyday affairs.   Along with monarchy the Quran has also denounced the institute of priesthood, which again has a false basis.  It tells us that there is no need for an intercessor between people and God. Today priesthood has lost much of its former grip on humanity.  The Quran has likewise taught that slavery is blot on the face of humanity.  It declares that all humans are created equal and every one is equal by virtue of having a common origin (4:1). In this century we have taken strides in eliminating slavery across the world. The Quran states that division by colour, caste, language and ethnicity is utterly unacceptable and all human beings belong to one family and one ummah (nation).  Today the world’s people are accepting this as a universal truth. 

All these changes are happening gradually and automatically.  This is the law that the Quran terms Sunnat-Allah or ‘habit of God’ (or, in the words of Iqbal, the subtle signs of nature).  It is this law that determines which ideas and systems will persevere, and which of them will be terminated (13:39).  In short the law dictates that those who live by falsehood will forge the instrument of their demise with their own hands, whilst the truth will out.  In the words of the Quran;

Nay, We hurl the truth against falsehood, and it knocks out its brain (i.e. psychology), and behold, falsehood perishes! Ah! Woe upon you for the (false) things you ascribe (to Us) (21:18)

All that is of universal benefit to humanity will persevere, and that which is not universally beneficial will perish and be set aside (13:17)

Hence, the divine system of Rabbubiya must inevitably come to pass.  But just as humanity generally progresses at an evolutionary rate, it follows that divine revolution, if left to Nature, will also arrive at the evolutionary rate; and since it will advance at the evolutionary rate, in the meantime humans will continue to suffer unnecessarily.  (Nevertheless there are signs at present to suggest that the time of this revolution is not far off).  If humanity accepts the teachings of revelation and adopts its programme willingly, not only will we save time but we will spare ourselves from a more bloody revolution.  Conversely, it humanity continues to choose its own way and waste time on fruitless social experiments, then it will take much longer to reach its higher destination.  In the words of Iqbal, “Revelation creates ease for human effort”.  The Quran states;

O man! There is absolutely no doubt that by dint of your own experiments and observation, you will ultimately reach the Divine Order which has the responsibility for nourishing all humanity.  However, this shall happen only after a lot of striving and strenuous effort. (In contrast, under the guidance of Wahi that stage can be reached in a much shorter time, with minimum effort. It economizes human effort. (84:6)

It is also true that when humanity makes mistakes it usually learns from them, and yet the full picture of the truth continues to elude us; hence we continue to feel our way through the dark, always unsure which of our choices will take us in the right direction.  However, if humanity chooses to adopt the divine programme, then prosperity and success is guaranteed in the near future.  The Quran is designed such that the thinking people can easily recognize the merit of the guidance it has provided for every potential issue.  Hence it states;

In time we shall make them (those who think) fully understand Our signs in the utmost horizons (of the world) and within themselves (their own nation), so that it will become clear unto them that this (revelation) is indeed the truth. 41:53.

The Quran also confidently asserts that try as we might, no one can actually find a valid argument against its claims on the basis of human knowledge.

[Humankind] has no evidence [to deny the existence of God and His Laws] 23:117

This is a bold challenge and it is reiterated in the Quran many times.  This is because the Quran’s claims are not based on presumptions or any speculative concepts but are based on Divine knowledge and wisdom.

Regards,
Optimist
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »
Salaam.

Actually it is a Quranic truth that, the humanity, ultimately, however long time it may take, by dint of its own experiments and observation, will ultimately reach the Divine Order which has the responsibility for nourishing all humanity

Please give reference for your claim.

As an example the Quran condemned monarchy as a falsehood fourteen hundred years ago.  It explained that no human had the right to rule another, and that people should adopt the principle of mutual consultation to manage their everyday affairs.

Nowhere does Qur'an condemn monarchy. It only condemns tyranny and oppression.

Tyranny and oppression has been condemned by all right thinking people, since time immemorial.
Not just fourteen hundred years.   

It is possible, and quite plausible that a Calif may be acting like a despot, unmindful of any relevant consultation.

What do you mean by, "It explained that no human had the right to rule another"?

There is no absolute condemnation of priests and priesthood. See, (5:82), (57:27).

It tells us that there is no need for an intercessor between people and God.

Commendable. This message should reach one and all.

It declares that all humans are created equal and every one is equal by virtue of having a common origin (4:1)

It declares that God has raised us in ranks, some above the other, materially (6:165), and spiritually (49:13), in spite of being created from a single person (4:1), as human beings, all.

In this century we have taken strides in eliminating slavery across the world.

According to:

http://www.swamiagnivesh.com/aboutbmm.htm

"India, the largest democratic country in the world, has 65 million bonded child labourers, and 300 million adult labourers living a life of bondage and contemporary forms of slavery, according to our estimates."

What is described in (13:17), is the Parable of rain. It is likened to Prophetic revelation. It is like Allah's bounty in the form of rain falling from the sky, and, clearly defining truth from falsehood. Truth remains, and falsehood separates, and is washed away, and then it perishes (21:18). This was exactly what was achieved by Prophet Muhammed's efforts. It was not achieved by the sword.
Falsehood doesn't get separated and washed away by exploding bombs.

The Quran states that division by colour, caste, language and ethnicity is utterly unacceptable and all human beings belong to one family and one ummah (nation).  Today the world’s people are accepting this as a universal truth

It has been accepted in India, eons back, as the truth: Vasudeva Kudumbakam, they say, in Sanskrit.

(84:6) is about life after death.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 03:41:16 AM »
Salaam.

Actually it is a Quranic truth that, the humanity, ultimately, however long time it may take, by dint of its own experiments and observation, will ultimately reach the Divine Order which has the responsibility for nourishing all humanity

Please give reference for your claim..
Salaam!

Unfortunately, you are unable to grasp the unique point mentioned above.   If you are looking for references from Quran it is already mentioned in my post.   And if you are looking for evidence, you have already evidence in you own post about America, as to how some of their laws are closer to islamic laws.  I will give you some more points to THINK.

The universe is a stage of continuous interplay of both constructive and destructive forces (haqq - truth and baatil - falsehood).  In this conflict the constructive force always defeats the destructive force (this is law of Allah) and thus the overall movement of the universe is constructive (or positive).  Hence the interplay of the two forces is the driving force of evolution.

Nay, but (by the very act of creation) We hurl the truth (haqq) against falsehood (baatil), and it crushes the latter: and ah! it withers away 21:18 (see also 17:81 and 34:49).

That haqq always proves true and the baatil always 'withers away' is not a random or accidental process.  The Quran provides clear concrete example to illustrate this abstract truth. Every day we see that after rainfall, twigs, scum, and other impurities rise to the surface of rivers and streams and all are carried away, leaving clear water behind, which will be absorbed into the earth.

[Whenever] He send water from the sky, and [once-dry] river beds are running high according to their measure, the stream carries scum on its surface. 13:17

In the same verse the Quran provides an additional example, this time of mineral processing, in which we treat rocks in order to obtain useful metal:

And, likewise, from that [metal] which they smelt in the fire in order to make ornaments or utensils, scum [rises]. 13:17

This analogies both serve to explain haqq and baatil:

In this way God presents the parable of truth [haqq] and falsehood [baatil]: for, asa far as the scum is concerned, it passes away as dross; but that which is of benefit to man abides on earth. 13:17

Suffice to say that, according to the Quran only a system that benefits the whole of humanity will ultimately prevail.   With risk of repetition let me quote;

The Quran states;

يَا أَيُّهَا الْإِنْسَانُ إِنَّكَ كَادِحٌ إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ كَدْحًا فَمُلَاقِيهِ

O man! There is absolutely no doubt that by dint of your own experiments and observation, you will ultimately reach the Divine Order which has the responsibility for nourishing all humanity.  However, this shall happen only after a lot of striving and strenuous effort. (In contrast, under the guidance of Wahi that stage can be reached in a much shorter time, with minimum effort. It economizes human effort. (84:6)

Just to give you some more clarity, let me state two small examples.

1. In family court proceedings in India it is now mandatory for the parties to undergo counseling and arbitration before their case is taken up for final trial (earlier there was no such clause).  This is recent issue I am discussion.....long before in Europe a woman was even allowed to file a divorce petition.   Anyhow, in India the counseling clause was incorporated after several experiments and observations, and after analysing several case studies.   See ultimately how the people understood the truthfulness and validity of a clause stipulated by Divine Law (Quran).  If they had followed the divine law mentioned in the Quran from the beginninh, it would have avoided unnecessary experiments, delays and human sufferings. 

2. A sensitive criminal trail is going on in Indian court against three italian sailors who killed two poor indian fishermen while at sea.  The sailors were captured after the killing and they are being tried under India law where if found guilty they will have to face either imprisonment or capital punishment.  The italy has already paid huge amount of money to the families of the killed, they say not as compensation but to support,  and at present the relatives of the killed are not interested as such to proceed with the case.  But there is no clause in Indian Law to close a criminal case in this way.  This is a deadlock situation and this may under conditions in the past might even lead to a war between two states.  What I want to point out here is that in a television debate recently a non muslim writer appreciated the islamic law that allowed the close relatives optional permission to fogive the offender after receiving compensation.  May be one day, after many experiments and observations, it is possible that humanity will understand the importance of such a clause and this clause may be likely to be incorporated into law acceptable for all. 

Nowhere does Qur'an condemn monarchy. It only condemns tyranny and oppression.

You may kindly read the definition of monarchy first. 

A monarchy (or kingdom, when ruled by a King or Queen) is a form of government in which sovereignty is actually or nominally embodied in a single individual (the monarch).....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy

The Sovereignty in Islam is for Allah alone.  No for human being.   According to Quran, no one, even as high as a Messenger of Allah, has the right to make people subservient to himself 3:78

There is no absolute condemnation of priests and priesthood. See, (5:82), (57:27).

I do not want to divert the topic into unnecessary details.  Just one verse

O you have eiman (conviction!)! Behold, many of the rabbis and monks do indeed wrongfully devour men's possessions and turn away from the path of God" (9:34)

Regards,
Optimist
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
Salaam.

Thanks. Your post has been very informative.

The moot question is whether there is any concrete prediction in Al Qur'an that before Qiyamah,

the whole world will embrace Islam?

The word 'Sovereign', or Malik, when used in the temporal sense, do not carry the absoluteness which they do carry when used with respect to God.

Monarchy, as such, is not condemned in the Qur'an. Only tyranny and oppression.

(9:34) is not an absolute condemnation of priests. Only the attitude of a majority of them.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
Salaam.

Thanks. Your post has been very informative.

The moot question is whether there is any concrete prediction in Al Qur'an that before Qiyamah,

the whole world will embrace Islam?
Salaam,

According to Quran, the battle between haq and baatil i.e. good and evil has been going on  a small scale, it will continue to do so, and as time moves ahead and the truths become revealed one by one, then there will be a big clash between haq and baatil after which the earth will be illuminated by its  Lord’s light. This is the great “Saa-ah” which has been mentioned so frighteningly in the Qur’an.  This revolution takes place at the hands of those who rise for the support of haq (or the truth), and therefore “as saa-ah” is in a way the last decisive battle between good and evil and in which the forces of evil are defeated and destroyed. This revolution does not happen at once; it is brewing up for a long time but it does make its appearance in  a way that those who  are unaware of its reality think that it has come upon them suddenly. This will all have occurred as a natural outcome of the law of requital. 

O mankind! Be conscious of and guard the Laws of your Rabb (and establish your society on correct lines).  If you will not do this (on your own), then it  will happen through a tremendous revolution which will shake everything from their very roots.(22:1)

The verses 22:1-7 declare the “final hour” – the ultimate outcome – is bound to come. At this time the rejecters who are presently in power and who oppose the truth will fall (14:45-52).  In fact even as they begin to see the consequence of their wrongdoings they will look for ways to escape it; but they will be unable to either escape or find refuge (21:12-14, 75:11).  At this time they will become like field that has been mowed down, and still burned out like ash (21:14).  They will not be missed, and it will be too late for them to turn back and make amends (44:29). 

The human life does not end with death nor do the results of deeds end in death, thus in the life hereafter, results too have been called “as saa-ah”. Different contexts in the Quran will reveal as to what revolution is meant there: i.e. either the time of results in this world or the time of results in the life hereafter.

Surah Taha says that Allah told Moses in detail about how far gone was the Pharaoh’s rebelliousness, and then told him what he had to do: and then said: innas saa-ataa aatiyah: 20:15 believe it that the time for the last battle between good and evil has come: it will surely come:  the Pharaoh cannot be left to do as he pleases: the revolution is bound to come: likewise our prophet was also told several times that your group or party must be fully prepared: innas sa-atah li aayattiyah: 15:85 the time for the last revolution is arriving: it will definitely come: the opponents will definitely be destroyed.

The prophet-hood lasted about a thousand and five hundred years in the Bani Israeel dynasty: in the beginning they obeyed God’s laws but later they became rebellious and started indulging in every type of sacrilegious act: they were told several time that if you do not give up your wrong ways then you will be demeaned and face azaab (punishment) and the benevolence you enjoy will be taken away from you, but they did not heed any of the prophets: the last was prophet Jesus who told them clearly that if they do not reform their ways then: God’s kingship will be taken from them and given to the nation which will bring God’s system to fruition:

But the reply they gave Jesus is a historical fact and after that the time for revolution did come and the nation’s grandeur and prosperity etc was taken away from them: therefore it is said about Jesus in the Qur’an: innahu la-ilmun lis saa ah: 43:61 his advent was to make the people aware of the great moment (of truth): (also see 3:46-55, 43:63-66 and if the pronoun innahu is taken to refer to Qur’an, then the ayat would mean that this Qur’an tells about the great revolution which is imminent.

Regards,
Optimist

PS:  Just keep in mind that the natural disasters in Quran need not necessarily actual natural disasters.   They symbolize realistic problems. This is simile exposition, just a way of symbolic telling.  Even when something is symbolic it doesn't mean it does not have physical manifestations. Symbolic narrations are sometimes used to make understanding easier to humans what is hard for them to comprehend.

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
Salaam.

22:1-7 is not about any temporal revolution.

In 14:41, Abraham beseeches Allah to protect him and the Believers on the Day of Judgment.

In 14:42 onwards, God spells out categorically that in spite of their most subtle and most sophisticated devices, and the respite they are being granted, the detractors of Prophets will not be spared.

21:11-15 is about the temporal punishment the enemies of the Prophets will meet with finally in this world.

75:11 is specifically regarding life after death.

21:11-15 is about their end in this world.

44:29 is about their end in this world. None will pity them, nor will they be granted respite any more.

20:15 is about life after death. The hour, or exact time of the awakening after death was to be kept hidden. And then everone will be treated according to his/her endeavors.

43:61 declares the fact that Jesus was knowledge of the Hour.

It only means that Jesus was meant only to create awareness of the coming Hour - Qiyamath - even as all other Prophets were "knowledge personified", of the Hour to come, so that mankind may be prepared to face it.

3:46-55, 43:63-66 - give no hint of a final showdown between haqq and batil, as Parvez would have us believe.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
Salaam.

22:1-7 is not about any temporal revolution.

In 14:41, Abraham beseeches Allah to protect him and the Believers on the Day of Judgment.

In 14:42 onwards, God spells out categorically that in spite of their most subtle and most sophisticated devices, and the respite they are being granted, the detractors of Prophets will not be spared.

21:11-15 is about the temporal punishment the enemies of the Prophets will meet with finally in this world.

75:11 is specifically regarding life after death.

21:11-15 is about their end in this world.

44:29 is about their end in this world. None will pity them, nor will they be granted respite any more.

20:15 is about life after death. The hour, or exact time of the awakening after death was to be kept hidden. And then everone will be treated according to his/her endeavors.

43:61 declares the fact that Jesus was knowledge of the Hour.

It only means that Jesus was meant only to create awareness of the coming Hour - Qiyamath - even as all other Prophets were "knowledge personified", of the Hour to come, so that mankind may be prepared to face it.

3:46-55, 43:63-66 - give no hint of a final showdown between haqq and batil, as Parvez would have us believe.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.
Wassalam!

Your analysis is completely based on literal interpretation of "final earth quake" mentioned in the Quran without understanding its allegorical significance.  The great “Saa-ah” which has been mentioned so frighteningly in the Qur’an at several places refers to final, ultimate battle between haq and baatil after which the earth will be illuminated by Allah's light.  The "Saa-ah" mentioned in the Quran is a technical term having different connotations, similar like the word  Salat (different meanings under different context).  Saa-ah is linked to the moment of truth when Haqq prevails over baatil, and it refers to either the time of results in this world or the time of results in the life hereafter.  Anyhow, I hope to respond to you in some details later.  However, let me quote two verses for you to consider.  First verse;

اللَّهُ الَّذِي أَنْزَلَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ وَالْمِيزَانَ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّ السَّاعَةَ قَرِيبٌ
يَسْتَعْجِلُ بِهَا الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِهَا وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مُشْفِقُونَ مِنْهَا وَيَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهَا الْحَقُّ أَلَا إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يُمَارُونَ فِي السَّاعَةِ لَفِي ضَلَالٍ بَعِيدٍ   

[Yousuf Ali] It is Allah Who has sent down the Book in Truth, and the Balance (by which to weigh conduct). And what will make thee realise that perhaps the Hour is close at hand? Only those wish to hasten it who believe not in it: those who believe hold it in awe, and know that it is the Truth. Behold, verily those that dispute concerning the Hour are far astray.

Actually, what the Quraish had been seeking to hasten was not the “End of the world”.  What they were seeking to hasten was the so called ultimate defeat the prophet had been warning them all along.   They were warned repeatedly in the Quran that they will face complete destruction if they continue to thread the wrong path, for instances, 

“They desire to extinguish the light of God with the breath of their mouths, but God will perfect His light, however much the disbelievers may dislike”. (61:8.)

He it is Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, that He may make it prevail over every other religion, even though the idolaters may resent it. (9:33)

In short the verse does NOT reflect any sarcastic comment from the disbelievers to hasten the fulfillment of the “warnings” repeatedly conveyed by the prophet about END OF THE WORLD.  Ofcourse the prophet had warned them about a life after death in which they will be held responsible for their actions.  However, never this warning was focused on "the end of the world" in the technical sense as you try to figure out.  We can not also explain the verse to mean they were hastening the results of their action in their life after death (because they have to die to experience this). 

Also, what is stated immediately is also important.   The Quran is not stating that the believers will be fearful regarding “THE END OF THE WORLD” in the sense a complete destruction earth and heaven.  The point highlighted here is the conviction of the believers that the final victory of Haqq against baatil is an absolute reality and also their realization that they will have to pass through difficult stages, each demanding steadfastness.  The believers will never ever be “fearful” about “end of world” in the literal sense.  Now second verse;

فَهَلْ يَنْظُرُونَ إِلَّا السَّاعَةَ أَنْ تَأْتِيَهُمْ بَغْتَةً فَقَدْ جَاءَ أَشْرَاطُهَا فَأَنَّىٰ لَهُمْ إِذَا جَاءَتْهُمْ ذِكْرَاهُمْ

[Yousuf Ali] The disbelievers wait not but for the Hour, that it should come upon them suddenly. The Signs thereof have already come. But of what avail will their admonition be to them when it has actually come upon them. (47:18)

If you closely (very closely) on the above verse, you will be able to note some points.   

1.  These people have gone to the extreme in their opposition, so much so that even after driving the Muslims from their homeland, they have not given up. Here Allah ask them, are they now waiting for the Revolution to suddenly come upon them??  The question was not with regard their waiting for the end of the word, “destruction of earth and heaven”.  The end of the world in the physical sense was not their concern at all.   Allah was warning them about and impending “revolution”, the final battle between Haq and battle (soon going to take place) in which they will be completely annihilated and destroyed. 

2.  The EARLY “signs” of “the hour” mentioned are in relation to the early signs of impending revolution that was going to take place in the near future.  It is not related to any "signs" of world getting physically destroyed.

3.  Finally, the last sentence states, they will not benefit by any admonition when the revolution takes place is true.  YES, it was indeed true in the sense "And (in the end) the last remnant of those folk who had been bent on evildoing was wiped out" 6:45.  Therefore admonition can not benefit them when the revolution happens.

Regards,
Optimist

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
Salaam.

The word meaning The Hour, with the Definite Article Alif Lam, appears 41 times in Al Qur'an.

{I use my (Arabic) Concordance and Index of the Holy Qur'an, by M. F. A. Baqui}

Everywhere it means, quite clearly, the same: The Hour - The Hereafter.

It is only Parvez who had the temerity to highjack scores of Verses indicating The Hereafter, to mean a temporal revolution - Islam, toppling the rest.

The moot question is: Which Islam? Shia, Sunni, Salafi, ..........?

Again, will this conjectural revolution be a product of evolution, or.........?

Or, are these two questions, including a previous one, irrelevant, or irrational?

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
Salaam.

The word meaning The Hour, with the Definite Article Alif Lam, appears 41 times in Al Qur'an.

{I use my (Arabic) Concordance and Index of the Holy Qur'an, by M. F. A. Baqui}

Everywhere it means, quite clearly, the same: The Hour - The Hereafter.

It is only Parvez who had the temerity to highjack scores of Verses indicating The Hereafter, to mean a temporal revolution - Islam, toppling the rest.

Again, will this conjectural revolution be a product of evolution, or.........?

Or, are these two questions, including a previous one, irrelevant, or irrational?

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Salaam!

I have already stated.  The human life does not end with death nor do the results of deeds end in death, thus in the life hereafter, results too have been called “as saa-ah” in the Quran.   However, the destruction of the earth and heaven, the 'final earth quake',  I agree with you, your analysis would be correct (though it has nothing to do with fact) based on the literal understanding of the "earth quake" and the frightening descriptions mentioned in the Quran.........So am I, based on the explanation I provided.

Anyhow, you did not find it contradictory when I explained the continuous interplay of both constructive and destructive forces (haqq - truth and baatil - falsehood) and the LAW of Allah the constructive force always defeats the destructive force.   This conflict will continue on a small scale (evolutionary level unless those who have Wahi - the Quran - in their hands actively support the forces of Haqq) until a final decisive decisive battle, in which the forces of baathil will be intimately destroyed and thus Allah will prove the validity of His Laws. This great revolution has to happen no matter (we have the signs around us) whether we take up the responsibility or not.

Bhaaa!  Do you think the forces of evil (Shia, Sunni, Salafi, etc) will be the flag bearers in the decisive final battle of Haqq against Baatil??  The humanity is suffering because of  Shia, Sunni, Salafi, etc.....They are forces of baathil and destined to get destroyed (either by the hands of those who raise for the protection haqq or by mutual conflict) and withered away in the decisive battle or even long before the final revolution.  You may take warning from the following verse;

O Jama’at-ul-Momineen, beware that if you turn away from Allah’s Deen (you should not fancy that it will cause any harm to Allah, nay – you will in fact harm your own self, because) We will replace you by others who will obey His Laws in preference to everything else in the world and the result of their obedience will be recompense from Allah. They will act with humility towards each other but will be firm towards their adversaries. They will strive hard in the cause of Allah and will not care about what others say. This is blessing from Allah which He bestows on those who wish to have it according to His Laws for Allah is Infinite and All-Knowing.  [5:54]

Regards,
Optimist

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
Salaam.

"....results too have been called “as saa-ah” in the Quran"

Al Sa'a implies results in the Next World.

"However, the destruction of the earth and heaven, the 'final earth quake',  I agree with you, your analysis would be correct (though it has nothing to do with fact) based on the literal understanding of the "earth quake" and the frightening descriptions mentioned in the Quran.........So am I, based on the explanation I provided."

I never mentioned the earthquake or other frightening descriptions mentioned in the Qur'an, anywhere in my post.

".... Allah will prove the validity of His Laws...."

It is being proved every moment.

Whoever is consistent in following Allah's guidance, sees the validity of Allah's Laws in his own life.

Also, he is a blessing for other humans, as well as other creatures.

In the Hereafter, the Bountiful and All Powerful God has prepared for him everlasting bliss.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »
".... Allah will prove the validity of His Laws...."

It is being proved every moment.

You are fully correct.  It is being proved every moment.  And it will be kept on proving every moment in future.  And;

In time We shall make them (those who think) fully understand Our signs in the utmost horizons (of the word) and within themselves (their own nation), so that it will become clear unto them that this (revelation) is indeed the truth (41:53)

Time itself is waiting to see which fortunate nation will take up the torch and light the way for the rest of the world.  This blessed nation will lead and take the whole of humanity towards the heaven.   This is humanity's beautiful destination.  Insha Allah.

Alhamdulillah always

Regards
Optimist