Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How to walk

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
How to walk
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:08:47 AM »
Salaam to all,
I came to an ayat in the Surat Luqman which grasp my interest  how to walk.

(١٧) وَلَا تُصَعِّرۡ خَدَّكَ لِلنَّاسِ وَلَا تَمۡشِ فِى ٱلۡأَرۡضِ مَرَحًا‌ۖ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ لَا يُحِبُّ كُلَّ مُخۡتَالٍ۬ فَخُورٍ۬ (١٨) وَٱقۡصِدۡ فِى مَشۡيِكَ وَٱغۡضُضۡ مِن صَوۡتِكَ‌ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ ٱلۡأَصۡوَٲتِ لَصَوۡتُ ٱلۡحَمِيرِ
(17) Turn not thy cheek in scorn toward folk, nor walk with pertness in the land. Lo! Allah loveth not each braggart boaster. (18) Be modest in thy bearing and subdue thy voice. Lo! the harshest of all voices is the voice of the ass.

Can somebody translate the arabic word "modest" i think the root is qaf-sin-dal if im not mistaken.

Thank you in advance

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
Re: How to walk
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
Salaam.

In a moderate manner. Neither jaunty and stylish and disrespectful, nor deliberately dull and lifeless.

The middle (root) letter is the 14th letter of the Arabic Alphabet.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
Salaam.

In a moderate manner. Neither jaunty and stylish and disrespectful, nor deliberately dull and lifeless.

The middle (root) letter is the 14th letter of the Arabic Alphabet.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.
Sorry for the mistake qaf-sad-dal
thank you for the translation but i was thinking of a root-translation like Joseph Islam uses in his articles.I want to know if theres is a connection between walk and speech in the arabic root,because in the anatomie of the human body the nervetract of walking and talking is the same.
Read here:
http://www.csuchico.edu/~pmccaffrey/syllabi/CMSD%20320/362unit10.html

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Assalamu alaikum

Q-Sd-D

Al qasu fil amr: to be moderate in some matter.
Qsada fulanun fi mashihi:  he adopted a moderate stance in his speed.
Safaran qaasidan: moderate in journey
Al qasdu,  at-taqseed : to cut something in the middle or to break something into two
Iqtasada fi amrihi: he was solid and moderate or did not get distracted this way or that:
Al qasd : for the way to be straight and clear (Tajul Uroose)

It is stated in the Qur’an in 16:9 “alal laahi qasdus sabeel” meaning, to make the truth clear, evident or the straight path is Allah’s responsibility.  if ala here is taken to mean the same as ila in this ayat, then it would mean that the path to Allah is the middle path: not this way or that.

Al iqtisaad is of different kinds.  When two ends are negative and the middle path is to be adopted. The Quran says, as waqsid fi masheek: 31:19; adopt moderation in your walk or in your affairs: because neither speed nor slowness is good in walk.   Similarly at one end is wastefulness and at the other end is  miserliness: both these extremities are bad: the good way is between the two: i.e. neither to be a big spender nor be miserly: this iqtisaad i.e. moderation is laudable:

Look examples of one end is good and the other end not, like justice and injustice, or haqq (truth) and baatil (falsehood).  Here only one end is good, not the other end: only he is laudable who adopts the path haqq (truth), not one who moves in between Haq and baatil.  Similarly justice and injustice.  However, there is another group who keep a path in between, an example is found in surah Faatir where it has been said  faminhum zaalimul linafsihi wa minhum maqtasidun wa minhum saabiqun bilkhairaat 35:32, meaning, there are among them some who wrong their own souls; some who follow a middle course; and some who are, by Allah's leave, foremost in good deeds (see also 5:66).  This last among the three is the best obviously.  The first group is obviously wrong. But between them, there is a group which does proceed both virtuous deeds or evil.  This group will be better than the oppressive group but below the third: but its modus operandi will not be laudable, according to Qur’anic criterion.

Islam is the way of the Haqq, not the middle path between Haqq and baatil: and the moderate qaum is one which adopts the way of Haqq, not which moves in between Haqq and baatil: see heading waw, siin, tha for the meaning of wast:

أُمَّةً وَسَطًا
Waw, siin, tha

Al-wast: the middle part of anything: the point which is equidistant from both sides: wusutush shams: for the sun to be in the middle of the sky: Muheet says that al-wasat and al-wast is the middle point which is equidistant from all sides: Since the mean point is the best point i.e. with regard to exaggeration etc therefore this word is used to mean the best: waasitul qilaadah: the middle part of a necklace which is usually the best part: alwaseet: intermediary who intervenes between two opponents: The Qur’an says about the horses in battle: fawasatna bihi jam’aa: 100:5 they enter the ranks of the enemies.

The Qur’an says about the Muslim Ummat (the nation of the Muslims): wa kazaalika ja’alnaakum ummatan wasatan litakunu shuda’a alan naas: 2:143 thus we have made you a central or wast ummat or nation: which is duty bound to oversee the deeds of all mankind: for a qaum to be able to do this the qaum must be international and equidistant from every qaum:  i.e. neither leaning towards any particular people nor estranged from another so that everyone is equal in its eyes: just as the centre is at an equal distance from every point in the circle it is obvious then that this position can be attained only by a nation which never moves away an inch from justice and adl : only such a qaum can oversee the deeds of mankind: thus ummatan wast means a qaum which enjoys a central position internationally which oversees the deeds of all nations internationally and resolves all international disputes with full justice : the Qur’an had fixed this place for the qaum of the momineen: It is noteworthy that the Qur’an had suggested this system for the resolution of international conflicts  a time when the world was even unaware of the concept of the internationalism.

Regards,
Optimist
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
Salaam.

The root Qaf Sad Dal has the sense of volition inherent in it. In Arabic it is also used with the additional sense of action corresponding to the volition.

Borrowed into Urdu, the triliteral noun of the same root, is used only in the sense of volition, will, intention, or resolve.

The mechanism of speech, as well as movements of limbs, and other voluntary motion must be of a corresponding and similar or mutually related vlitional nerve origin.

More so because both are adept in communication. The former communicates by speech, and the latter communicates by gestures.

The root is used in the following verses only:

5:66, 9:42, 16:9, 39:19, 31:32, & 35:32

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
Through the statement of the Quran to walk modest ,i came to see that the Prophet Muhamed(pbuh)i described in a speedy walk.
For example:
Abu Huraira in Tirmidih reports:I did not see anyone walk faster than him, as is the earth folded for him.
If seen Muslims walking like in the hadith stated first i thought they have to hurry for a date till i heard from this Ahadith of his walk.

wa salam

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Salaam.

It does not mean that we should not walk briskly.

Only that our demeanor while walking should neither be jaunty, stylish, and disrespectful, nor deliberately dull and lifeless.

And women should not walk deliberately striking their feet in a vulgar display. (Refer: 24:31)

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 02:35:45 AM »
Salam Ismail,

Thanks,i agree with you Ismail the way we walk our demeanour is important.
In the sura "al-Isra"after couting forbidden deeds and Behaviour which is hatefull in the eye of our creator,he is giving instructions of  proper ways and again we find the way we should walk.

(35) (O man), follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked. (36) And walk not in the earth exultant. Lo! thou canst not rend the earth, nor canst thou stretch to the height of the hills. (37) The evil of all that is hateful in the sight of thy Lord.

Just for Information,the front of the feet is connected with a lot of our organs,one of them is the heart.Most shoes forces us to walk on heels,we have to think about it. 
http://www.reflexologyinstitute.com/reflex_chart.php

with regards

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 04:49:41 AM »
Salaam.

The link is interesting.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Salam,
coming to the end of this thread ffrom my side ,i had to consider the use of Tabarruk of some Islamic sects.They use the shape of the sandals to get Blessings,support,healing or they just want to honour the Prophet,through the hanging of the Na´layn.You can buy even jewellery in the shape of the Na´l to put on your clothes or as a ring on you finger,there are a couple of sandals in the Blue Mosque in Turkey they supposed to be the original sandals of the Prophet.     

One of the Argument to legitimate the Nalayn is the Miraj of the Prophet where he was aloud to let his sandals on while Prophet Musa instead had to put them of when he entered the Valley of Taha.And they bring up the ayat where we should hold the remebrence of the Prophet up.

wa salam