Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Virgin / Miraculous Birth of Prophet Jesus

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Virgin / Miraculous Birth of Prophet Jesus
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Salam

Just a quick question to ask you what you think about the virgin birth / miraculous birth of Jesus/Isa?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Virgin / Miraculous Birth of Prophet Jesus
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
Wa Alaikum Salaam.

I personally find that the 'miracles/events' (including the one you refer to) narrated in the Quran are not mentioned so as to convince us or the Pagan Arabs in the first instance. Rather primarily, it served as a reminder to the listeners from the people of the previous scriptures of 7th century Arabia who must have been familiar with these narratives, so that they didn't end up being the first to reject the Quran.

002.040-41
'O Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfill your covenant with Me as I fulfill My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me. And believe in what I reveal, confirming the revelation which is with you, and be not the first to reject Faith therein, nor sell My Signs for a small price; and fear Me, and Me alone.'

I suppose it is no different today. The Quran confirms the understanding of the People of the Book of the veracity of these narratives.

No one in 7th century Arabia actually witnessed these events, least the Pagan Arabs. To the believers (mu'mins) who accepted the veracity of the Quran, these narratives were simply ratifying the continuation of a message.

I accept the Quranic narratives in the manner they have been narrated and in the context of how primarily the 7th century (Christio-Judaic) audience would have first understood them. I simply keep it in that context.

There is no way of proving or disproving the occurrence of these miraculous events. They are either accepted or rejected based on one's overriding belief in the veracity of the scriptures that narrate them.

I share a related article:

MIRACLES OR MISUNDERSTOOD NATURAL PHENOMENON?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/miracles%20and%20laws%20FM3.htm

Joseph.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell