Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dogphobia

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
Dogphobia
« on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
salam,
I want to talk about the myth about the unpurity of dogs which the secondary source of Islam is proclaiming by stating a prayer is not accepted when a dog is nearby or the angels will not enter a house with a dog inside.In sure 5 we see that animal hunted by a dog is allowed to eat.
Sura5:(3)ٱلۡجَوَارِحِ مُكَلِّبِينَ K-L-B is the root for Dog
In sura18:17we read the Story of the companions of the cave with their dog and we see that Allah is using the pronoun "We" this indicates that someone is moving the young men and the dog from side to side,this can only be angels.So the myth of dislike from angels about dog is obsolete.

wa salam and regards

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Dogphobia
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam Deliverance,

Thank you for sharing. I completely agree with your underlying sentiments.

ARE DOGS REALLY IMPURE? A HUNTING DOG'S CATCH
http://quransmessage.com/articles/a%20hunting%20dog's%20catch%20FM3.htm

YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL TO ME
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/466971363358210

DOGS - Beautiful companions.
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/102180819921727

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:32:32 AM »
Salam Joseph,
Thank you for the link ,i only wonder why they invented this bad picture of the dog?I think it was Ghandi who sad"You can see the progress of a Nation on how they treat their animals" or something like that.Well i know of a Hospital for falcon in the arabian Island and a Wellness-pool for horses but for dogs i havent yet heart any movement.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:46:38 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam Deliverance,

One could argue that dark forces have had a vested interest in making forbidden that which God has made lawful for His servants and anything that is of use to humanity in order that they can pave the way towards falsehood.

A dog is undoubtedly a very useful animal to humans. Not only are they used as a loyal, trusted companion and for the purposes of hunting which even the Quran recognises in verses 18:18ff and 5:4, dogs have had many uses and still do. Amongst some uses:

• They have been known to be used in warfare by numerous civilisations throughout history whether they were the Greeks, Egyptian, Romans, Alans etc.
  • Today they are used for detection work to counter drugs and assist police units to enforce law and order.
  • They have been used for pest control such as rat extermination.
  • Guide dogs are used for the blind and also other life saving service and assistance work such as seizure alert, psychiatric service, mobility assistance, where they assist humans to live their lives more independently.
  • They are used in search and rescue missions not only on land but also water.
  • They have been used for travel purposes such as sled dogs where they make it possible to cover terrain that is otherwise almost impossible to pass for humans.
  • They have also been used to pull carts for purposes of general transportation.
  • They assist humans to herd cattle.
  • They are excellent for guarding life and property.
  • They have been used in entertainment such as racing and show dogs.
  • There are even suggestions that there are actual proven benefits to psychological well-being and physical heath to those that keep dogs as companions.

Without having anything against cats personally, I don't however see them carrying out many of the important functions for humans that dogs do. However, cats seem to have occupied a very special place in Muslim homes and thought, arguably at the expense of dogs who are considered 'impure' to many.

With regards the quote you share, I think there was a similar sentiment resonated by Mahatma Gandhi where he is thought to have said "A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members".

However, this sentiment is by no means unique to him. Similar sentiments have been expressed by many thinkers which I have covered in a comment in the following post.

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/334632460007221

The relevant comment is below:

Thank you sister Joanna Voice. I would like to call this an 'EXPRESSION OF FACT' than a sentiment of ANY particular person. The truth within it is as evident as the light in the day.The post is simply my expression of what I perceive as fact.

Many thinkers have agreed with this sentiment and have expressed similar feelings in a number of ways.

Such a sentiment may even predate the New Testament (NT). Although NT writers assert Prophet Jesus to have said “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40 - NIV), Aristotle before him was thought to have said that you can judge a nation by the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens. (Paraphrased)

Winston Churchill and Fyodor Dostoevsky are thought to have said: "The real measure of civilization in any society can be found in the way it treats its most unfortunate citizens - its prisoners."

Mahatma Gandhi is thought to have said: "A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

Another similar expression seems to be attributed to Pope John Paul II: "A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members and among the most vulnerable are surely the unborn and the dying,"

Then there are other similar sentiments understood to be expressed by others:

"Yet somehow our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is in the way that it cares for its helpless members."
- Pearl S. Buck, My Several Worlds, p. 337 (1954)

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."
- Cardinal Roger Mahony, In a 1998 letter, Creating a Culture of Life

"The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. "
- Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

"A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization."
- Samuel Johnson, Boswell: Life of Johnson

"The measure of a society is found in how they treat their weakest and most helpless citizens. As Americans, we are blessed with circumstances that protect our human rights and our religious freedom, but for many people around the world, deprivation and persecution have become a way of life."
- James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr.

"The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities."
- John E. E. Dalberg, Lord Acton, The History of Freedom in Antiquity, [1877].

"The greatness of America is in how it treats its weakest members: the elderly, the infirm, the handicapped, the underprivileged, the unborn."
- Bill Federer

You see, this is why I call it an 'expression of fact' that any person with thought can arrive at as SELF-EVIDENT.

God bless

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Duster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
Shalom / Peace brother Joseph Islam..... thank you for this, very informative.