Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: clothes, proper coverage and prayer

Offline Nura

• View Profile
clothes, proper coverage and prayer
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Dear brother Joseph,

I have been thinking about this issue for sometime now but have not really formulated an answer. I would like to get your opinion on this. Is it acceptable for a believing  man/woman to pray without covering the hair? from secondary sources we learn that we should cover our hair but does the Quran require that the hair/head has to be covered? Also which body parts do you think can be left uncovered during prayers? would it be ok to offer prayers in a dress that does not cover the legs to the feet and the arms till the hands(some parts of the arm and legs exposed)? any insight from the Quran would be helpful.

Thank You
Nura

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline good logic

• View Profile
Re: clothes, proper coverage and prayer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »
Greetings sister Nora.

If your question is addressed to brother Joseph alone,please ignore my answer.I hope I am not intruding since your question was in a group discussion topic.

GOD gave us this instruction for " salat":

[5:6]
يٰأَيُّهَا الَّذينَ ءامَنوا إِذا قُمتُم إِلَى الصَّلوٰةِ فَاغسِلوا وُجوهَكُم وَأَيدِيَكُم إِلَى المَرافِقِ وَامسَحوا بِرُءوسِكُم وَأَرجُلَكُم إِلَى الكَعبَينِ وَإِن كُنتُم جُنُبًا فَاطَّهَّروا وَإِن كُنتُم مَرضىٰ أَو عَلىٰ سَفَرٍ أَو جاءَ أَحَدٌ مِنكُم مِنَ الغائِطِ أَو لٰمَستُمُ النِّساءَ فَلَم تَجِدوا ماءً فَتَيَمَّموا صَعيدًا طَيِّبًا فَامسَحوا بِوُجوهِكُم وَأَيديكُم مِنهُ ما يُريدُ اللَّهُ لِيَجعَلَ عَلَيكُم مِن حَرَجٍ وَلٰكِن يُريدُ لِيُطَهِّرَكُم وَلِيُتِمَّ نِعمَتَهُ عَلَيكُم لَعَلَّكُم تَشكُرونَ

When we observe salat we prepare as follows:

(1) wash your faces,
(2) wash your arms to the elbows,
(3) wipe your heads, and
(4) wipe/wash your feet to the ankles.
Then If you were unclean...  "junuban" you shall bathe.
If you are ill, or traveling...etc...
and you cannot find water, you shall observe the dry ablution (Tayammum) by touching clean dry soil/rock, then rubbing your faces and hands. God does not wish to make the religion difficult for you; He wishes to cleanse you and to perfect His blessing upon you, that you may be appreciative.

GOD has not given any instruction on what to wear. when you pray As far as I know.

You wear what is comfortable if you are in your own home praying, or what is modest if you are praying with a group.

GOD has given instruction about  dressing " modestly "  elsewhere in Qoran.

That is my understanding.

GOD bless you.

Peace.

Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
Dear good logic,

As-salam alaykum

You are absolutely correct, any questions on the forum are by default, for all respected members, including your kind self to share your opinions.

The exception are those found in the Q&A section entitled "Questions and Answers (Q&As) - Information Only", but they are usually locked.

I do believe that wisdom is found shared amongst all of us and not any one particular individual. God willing, I will try to answer as many questions from my humble perspective as I can in due course.

Dear sister nura,

As-salam alaykum

As Good Logic has shared, the instruction to remain modest (arguably in all spheres of a believer’s life) has been made clear by the Quran.

From my humble perspective, it is then inconceivable that when praying to the Lord that one should not attempt to remain fully cognizant of what they understand to be the most modest position and attire that they can possibly perceive and to put that into practice.

Notwithstanding, that in the article below [1], I have argued for the coverage of the arms and legs, one must appreciate that in a state of prayer, one should be in state of complete humility, submission and modesty. Arguably, these characteristics are also often interlinked.

For example, one should ask themselves what is the more modest position?

• Praying whilst baring their legs or praying ensuring that the legs are covered?
  • Praying baring one's arms or praying ensuring that the arms are covered?
  • Praying with compromising attire such as trousers / jeans that have the potential to ride down revealing one's posterior or wearing clothes which ensure one's body remains completely covered?
  • Covering the hair or praying with one's hair uncovered?

One must ask these questions to themselves with sincerity and honesty. I believe they will know the answers or at least, the best practice given their understanding.

Only God will judge one's choices.

God asked Prophet Moses with regards his staff 'wa ma til'ka biyaminika ya-musa?'. "And what is that in your right hand O Moses?"

Now was God not aware of what was in Prophet Moses's right hand? or that it was a staff? or that it was possibly constructed from an off-shoot of a strong branch of a tree or that he even possibly found it somewhere? Was God not aware of any of these possibilities? It is in the response given that we note that Prophet Moses knew exactly what was being asked of him which was his 'choices'.

God also knew his choices but it was for Prophet Moses to advance them which introduces the concept of 'answerability'. "He said: This is my staff / rod (asaya) I lean upon it, and with which I bring down leaves / beat down fodder for my sheep, and wherein I find other uses" (20:18)

In the same way, our choices regarding our understanding of the Quran's narratives will be judged. I would always advise fellow believers to take the most 'inclusive' position with a view to err on the side of caution.

Silence in the Quran should be understood as an opportunity for believers to make the best choices given their best endeavours.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum)..."

039:018
"Those who listen to the Word (the Quran) and follow the best meaning in it / best of it (Arabic: fayattabi'una ahsanahu) those are the ones whom God has guided and those are the one's endowed with understanding (Arabic: Albabi)

"And follow the best of what is revealed to you from your Lord, before the penalty comes to you suddenly while you do not perceive!”

Silence in the Quran should never be understood as a cue to take the most 'scant' position.

That is my humble perspective.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] HIJAAB
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hijaab%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Greetings brother Joseph.

Thank you for your post.

The only thing I may add to your answer is the wearing of a sincere heart when praying.

GOD bless you.
Peace.

Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:11:49 AM »
Absolutely good logic  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell