Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is the Prophet Muhammad Alive?

Offline Khalid Zia

• View Profile
Is the Prophet Muhammad Alive?
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
In reference to the following post [which I found to be well balanced and surprisingly quite agreeable!], by Joseph Islam:

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1082.0

And in particular:

Indeed the Prophet is not alive today

This is issue of some contention - those of us from Sufism background - hold the view that the Prophet Muhammad has physically passed away - however is Prophet-hood and spirituality continues. Although most of this is based from Hadith, Kashf and etc . . . but not all. For example:

ولا تقولوا لمن يقتل في سبيل الله أموات بل أحياء ولكن لا تشعرون

And do not say about those who are killed in the way of Allah , "They are dead." Rather, they are alive, but you perceive [it] not.
[Quran 2:154]

The above verse does make the point that physical death from this earth is not the only form of being alive and one is not necessarily gone altogether.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is the Prophet Muhammad Alive?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
Dear Khalid,

Thank you for your comments.

As I mentioned in my last post to you, given that you are aligned to Sufi thought, may I welcome you once again and encourage you to share your differences with my thought with the readers in peace so they can better understand the contentions raised by the differences in approach.

Peace and regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »
Salam Bro JAI I posted my reply but it does not appear on the Forum. I wanted to draw attention to a dialogue which took place between Allah & Prophet Jesus where Allah asked Jesus about his Ummah whereupon Jesus answers that " so long as he was alive no body told him God or Gods son but after his death what happened he does not know.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »
Dear Sardar,

Wa alaikum assalam

I am not sure which post you refer to, but I believe you refer to verses 5:116-117

005:116-117
And when God will say: O Jesus son of Mary! did you say to men, Take me and my mother for two gods besides God, he will say: Glory be to You, it did not befit me that I should say what I had no right to (say); if I had said it, You would indeed have known it; You know what is in my mind, and I do not know what is in your mind, surely you are the great Knower of the unseen things. I did not say anything to them except what you commanded me with: That worship God, my Lord and your Lord, and I was a witness over them as long as I was among them, but when you caused me to die (Arabic: Tawafaytani), you were the watcher over them, and you are witness of all things.

I have shared these verses in the following article:

IS THE SECOND COMING OF PROPHET JESUS (pbuh) SUPPORTED BY THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/is%20second%20coming%20attested%20by%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »
Salam Taking this Ayaah I wanted to stress that after death Prophet Jesus did not know what happened after his death in the same way our Prophet Mohammad SA also does not know what Is happening to his Ummah. This negates KZ's ascertion that our Prophet is alive though physically died. It is a Sufiyana belief.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam brother Sardar,

You are absolutely correct.

Prophet Jesus was simply a messenger like the messengers that had passed away before him (5:75).

This is no different for prophet Muhammad who would also die no different from anyone else.

039:030
"Indeed, YOU (O Muhammad) WILL DIE, they (too) will die"

In the verse no distinctions were made in the ‘essence’ of death.

There is absolutely no unequivocal support for beliefs such as the continuation of prophethood through spirituality. In my humble opinion, verses such as 2:154 are nothing but a desperate attempt to support an errant theology.

PROPHET 'HAZIR NAZIR' EVER WITNESSING AND PRESENT, POSSESSING UNSEEN KNOWLEDGE AND ALIVE IN HIS GRAVE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/hazir%20nazir%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Hello Br. Joseph,

Thank you very much for your forum and articles!! I should mention before writing this I write with a view of a unity of theology of the Qur'an and New testament, and so write with that in mind. (Which is why with the death and resurrection of Jesus being so central in the Bible and as a historical fact for those closer to that era, I begin with that premise in interpreting the Qur'an)   
A couple of questions from your response above:
- You mentioned "verses such as 2:154 are nothing but a desperate attempt to support an errant theology." In that case what is your interpretation of 2:154? It would seem that both this verse, as we as numerous verses in the Bible, recognise a special position after death for those who lay down their lives for truth.
- There is absolutely no unequivocal support for beliefs such as the continuation of prophethood through spirituality. From the Bible, it cannot be avoided to recognise a spiritual authority given to Jesus after death as a result of his submission to God, and willingness to give his life out of love for others. (Acts 2:36 / Quran 3:45). I am not talking about the Greek thinking of Jesus being a part of a trinity, but a spiritual authority given that is consistent with the monotheistic theology of the Quran.

Offline Sword

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
Brother Joseph,

Salamun Alaykum.

I want to know your understanding of verse 2:154. Kindly share.

Regards.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Dear Daniel and Sword

As-salam alaykum

Death was perceived as a loss of everything. In the context of the supporting verses 3:168-169, death in the way of God was also perceived as an unnecessary end to this world, its comfort and fruits, a cessation to everything.  "...Had they obeyed us, they would not have been killed..." (3:168).

Such views are also resonated by other verses.

"And they say, "There is nothing but our present life; we die, and we live and nothing destroys us but time..." (45:24)

Such a limiting view of a human's purpose is a concept completely unsupported by the Quran and the previous scriptures.

The Quran repeatedly speaks of a spiritual after-life where the fruits of one's labours are rewarded. It is not the end. One's efforts do not go into an endless dark abyss of 'nothingness'. In this context those that die in the way of God are rewarded, they are 'living'.

To elaborate the latter point, it is absolutely imperative in my humble view to remember that when one dies, their concept of time is lost. 'Time' is a meaningless, irrelevant concept for the dead. It is akin to a quiescent transitory state of sleep with a cessation of the concept of human time, separated by 'barzakh' (23:100).

For example, when we sleep and we awake, it is if time has disappeared. Then we awake and it is as if it is a new 'resurrection'. The Quran supports this analogy explicitly in verse 25:47 and compares it with resurrection.

"And He it is Who makes the night as a robe / covering for you, and Sleep as a repose / rest, and makes the Day (as it were) a Resurrection."

Furthermore, God does not exist in a space-time plane of His creation. [1] I feel this is important to remember when understanding matters of life, death and resurrection when a reference to humans. This concept is often completely unappreciated by many.

When one dies, they are no longer present within the plane of the 'living creation'. They enter a 'time-less' zone with God.

“…They are alive near (Arabic: inda) their Lord, they are given provision (* rizq)..." – 3:169

* rizq - gift, bounty or portion.

This is also true of noble prophet Jesus.

003:055
When God said: "O Jesus! Verily, I shall cause you to die (Arabic: Mutawafeeka), and shall exalt you (Arabic: Rafiuka) to Me…”

‘Nay, God exalted him  (Arabic: rafa-ahu) to Himself - and God is indeed almighty, wise’

Therefore when one dies, they are not 'dead' and 'devoid' of the labours of their fruits. It is certainly not the end of everything as claimed by others. They are rewarded with provision (rizq – 3:169) in the spiritual life of the hereafter. They do not feel the time between death and the re-awakening as there is no intermediate punishment of the grave [2]. They feel death and resurrection as almost an instant.

079:046
"On the day that they see it, it will be as though they had not tarried but the latter part of a day or the early part of it"

017:052
"It will be on a Day when He will call you, and you will answer (His call) with (words of) His praise, and you will think that you tarried but a little while!"

030.055-56
“On the Day that the Hour (of Reckoning) will be established, the transgressors will swear that they tarried not but an hour: thus were they used to being deluded!  But those endued with knowledge and faith will say: "Indeed ye did tarry, within God's Decree, to the Day of Resurrection, and this is the Day of Resurrection: but you - you were not aware”

It is only the living that continue in the 'linear' concept of time and space. In this sense, the dead righteous are given their provision 'rizq' (3:69) for their efforts. They have lost nothing but gained. For God and those that have died, they are already observed by God in another plane, they are already receiving the fruits of their labour.

For many 'rizq' is understood in its most rudimentary interpretative sense to refer to 'edible items of food' i.e. hence they are alive as they eat food! Such an interpretation does not appreciate the nuance of the term 'rizq' (gift, bounty or portion) or take into account the conceptual framework that the Quran presents with regards time and space. Rather, it places a very 'earth-centric', linear view of time on the narratives which I feel are not the best interpretation, but with respect inadequate.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph

REFERENCES

[1] TIME & SPACE
http://quransmessage.com/charts%20and%20illustrations/time%20and%20space/timespace%20FM2.htm
[2] PUNISHMENT OF THE GRAVE (AZAB-E-QABR)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/grave%20punishment%20FM3.htm
George Orwell

Offline Sword

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
Wa alaykum salam, brother Joseph Islam.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

JazakAllah khayr.

Offline maverick83pk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 02:27:34 AM »
Aoa,

Excellent analysis by Br. Joseph Islam, as usual, impeccable and flawless, MA!

However, there is a little confusion, i would be much obliged if anyone can clear to me.

Are martyrs being given provision in Jannah? have they already entered Jannah? Or will they wait for the day of reckoning and then after their deeds are weighted will they then enter Jannah?

Please elaborate and give me a chance to oblige.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »
Dear maverick83pk

Wa alaikum assalam

Are martyrs being given provision in Jannah? have they already entered Jannah? Or will they wait for the day of reckoning and then after their deeds are weighted will they then enter Jannah?

To gain a better understanding of this concept, please try to kindly remove your concept of 'time' from the deceased. The person who has died does not feel 'time' as the living do. There is no 'waiting' for the deceased.

The Quran makes it clear that from the point of death and when the deceased will awake, to them it will feel like only a part of a day or a very short period has passed, even though they may have tarried hundred / thousands of years to the Day of Judgement.

This in my humble view is the Quranic position.

017:052
"It will be on a Day when He will call you, and you will answer (His call) with (words of) His praise, and you will think that you tarried but a little while!"

030.055-56
“On the Day that the Hour (of Reckoning) will be established, the transgressors will swear that they tarried not but an hour: thus were they used to being deluded!  But those endued with knowledge and faith will say: "Indeed ye did tarry, within God's Decree, to the Day of Resurrection, and this is the Day of Resurrection: but you - you were not aware”

010:045
“One day He will gather them together: (It will be) as if they had tarried but an hour of a day: they will recognise each other: assuredly those will be lost who denied the meeting with God and refused to receive true guidance”

046:035
"Therefore patiently persevere, as did (all) messengers of determination; and be in no haste about the (Unbelievers). On the Day that they see what they were promised, (it will be) as if they had not tarried more than an hour in a single day. (Yours is but) to proclaim the Message: but shall any be destroyed except those who transgress?"

079:046
"On the day that they see it, it will be as though they had not tarried but the latter part of a day or the early part of it"

In the context of the above verses, it becomes clear what is meant by the following verse which completely resonates with the theme of the Quran. At the point of death (which can come upon any of us at a stroke) and till the Day of Raising, it is but a blink of an eye.

016:077
“And to God belongs the Unseen of the heavens and the earth, and the matter of the Hour (of Doom) is but as a twinkling of the eye, or it is nearer still. Indeed! God is Able to do all things”

Similar wisdom is imparted in other verses:

• The sleepers of the cave slept for many hundreds of years (God knows best the exact period) but they felt they had only slept for a little while (18:19)
  • A man slept for a 100 years but he only felt like that he slept for a part of a day (2:259)

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph

REFERENCE:

[1] PUNISHMENT OF THE GRAVE (AZAB-E-QABR)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/grave%20punishment%20FM3.htm
George Orwell

Offline maverick83pk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:55 AM »
Thanks a lot Br. Joseph Islam for your time and efforts, may Allah reward you immensely for all your inputs.

So, after studying your article and replies, it appears in the verses 3:169-172, Allah is telling us the future where the martyrs will be in paradise enjoying the sustenance provided to them.

So why is Allah specially saying that the ones slain in His way are not to be called as "dead"? in other words, anyone who has died, be it any one, can not be called as dead, as they will be alive in future, in either hell or paradise.

This is getting a bit confusing or am i missing the point? :-\

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »
Dear maverick83pk

As-salam alaykum

Please understand this from the context of the critics who were interpreting death as in vain / a wasted life with no Hereafter. On the other hand, God informs us that they were not dead in the sense that there was nothing afterwards. Rather, they were to be rewarded and the manner of the reward was suggested.

I have already elaborated on this point. Please see my reply to Daniel and Sword (Reply #8) above.

I trust that clarifies,

Regards,
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline adnan11_in

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »
Every human Once born is Alive
No one dies
but life and death is the stages of Big life (67:2)
Death of this life and death can be understood with the example of "A Vehicle and A driver gets off form his vehicle it is death for vehicle.
But driver is always alive and can climb any next Vehicle when Allah commanded. 
The difference of Jesus AS to any other man is
Jesus soul and his earthly body is with God and will be later release when needed.