Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Hell or not?

Offline Avanie

• View Profile
Hell or not?
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »
Dear Mr Islam,
I am interested in learning about different religions.
Whilst discussing Islamic beliefs with a friend, he quoted this verse to me:
5:69 Those who attain belief (and call themselves Muslims) and those who are Jews, and the Agnostics, and Christians; whoever believes in God and the Last Day, and does acts of welfare, for them shall be no fear from without, nor shall grief touch them from within.
I am a Hindu, but I believe that God is One, whichever religion anyone follows. If an individual is not any of the faiths mentioned above, but they believe that God is One, will they still be sent to hell?
And also, there are many different religions saying that the non-believers will be sent to hell. If that's the case, who is actually going to hell? And can reincarnation not be considered?
Many thanks

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Hell or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:42:21 AM »
Salam Sister,Allah mentioned some categories of people who believe in One God ,do good deeds & lastly believe in last day may not fear. But Hindus believe in Reincarnation which is not part of Muslim faith. Though Allah has not mentioned Hindus etc but if they believe what is mentioned who knows Allah may give them His blessings. Allah sent His messengers each & every nation, therefore He may help those. Wala Ho Alam
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Hell or not?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
Dear Avanie,

Welcome to the forum!

Please see my responses to your comments in blue italics

"I am a Hindu, but I believe that God is One, whichever religion anyone follows."

The belief of one God from a Quran's perspective is twinned with an understanding of the correct 'essence' of God.

Whether one calls themselves Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Christian or aligns themselves with any religious denomination, the correct concept of God is the key consideration from a Quran's perspective.

For example, there is no Triune concept of God even though individuals may call themselves monotheists. God is one, alone and separate from His creation. There are no other ‘Gods’ in partnership or in essence with Him. He has sole authority over His entire Creation even though He may delegate responsibilities to His creation.

If an individual is not any of the faiths mentioned above, but they believe that God is One, will they still be sent to hell?  And also, there are many different religions saying that the non-believers will be sent to hell. If that's the case, who is actually going to hell?

From a Quran's perspective, one is only deemed a 'disbeliever' once the truth has been manifested clearly to them and they reject it when there is no reason left to deny it [1] Only God knows best when this level of proof, given an individual’s faculties has been accomplished. If a soul has been righteous, but has had no complete manifestation of truth, then their matter is with the Lord. As Prophet Moses said when asked by Pharaoh about the generations of old , “its knowledge is with my Lord in a Record. My Lord neither errs nor forgets,” (20:52)

However, God does send His signs to mankind in multifaceted ways for us all to ponder on kernels of truth or aspects of truth. This is irrespective if you call yourself Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or of any other faith.

041:053
"We will soon show them Our signs in the Universe and in their own souls, until it will become quite clear to them that it is the truth. Is it not sufficient as regards your Lord that He is a witness over all things?"

I think of beliefs as an extremely long string. On one side is absolute falsehood and on the other, absolute truth. All of mankind is somewhere on that string and often beliefs are interspersed with truth and falsehood. Hence the Quranic prayer “…and say, “Perhaps that my Lord will guide me to a nearer (way) than this to the right way” (18:24)

And can reincarnation not be considered?

If 'reincarnation' is understood in its rudimentary definition as "the rebirth of a soul in another body / form", then the Quran supports this. The Quran clearly asserts that after death, we will be created a new creation (inshaan) (56:35) as virgins untouched (56.36) and of similar age (56.37). These are Quranic similitudes to describe a new creation (not necessarily human) that is not yet known to our existence.

However, this concept has a specific understanding in that the human soul travels through this life once and after death, is ‘resurrected’ into another life abiding forever.  It does not find its way back into the created realm from which it has left (barzakh - 23:100).

In all humility, I do respectfully invite you to read the Quran with an open mind purely to ascertain whether you feel that the arguments contained within it lead you to believe God has indeed spoken to mankind.

I wish you all the best always and I hope that my comments above provide appropriate responses to your questions.

Regards,
Joseph

RELATED ARTICLES:

[1] Understanding 'Kufr' (Disbelief) from a Quranic perspective
http://quransmessage.com/articles/understanding%20kufr%20FM3.htm
[2] Are Christians, Jews, Sikhs and Hindu's Required to Follow the Quran?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=95.msg241#msg241

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell