Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Hurs (Virgins in Paradise)

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Hurs (Virgins in Paradise)
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:07:59 AM »
Dear Mr. Joseph,

I hope my email finds you well. I recently came across your website and found it very informative. May Allah reward you for all your efforts.

I'd like to inquire about one thing. In this article, you discuss the "hurs" of the Qur'an.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/sexy%20female%20virgins%20for%20men%20in%20heaven%20FM3.htm

While your explanation of the other verses struck me as quite satisfactory, there are two verses you did not mention, that of 55:56, 55:74 in regards to them "not having been touched". I'd appreciate it if you would elaborate further on your view in the light of these verses.

Thank you,

A sister

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Hurs (Virgins in Paradise)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam sister,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I mentioned a similar theme which is picked up in verse 56:36 , that believers would be created anew, a new creation  - something untouched,  fresh, a virgin (akbaran).

Similarly, the heavenly companions that you mention in verse 55:56 and 55:74 will also be a creation which would have neither been touched (tamatha) by either an 'ins' (human being) nor jinn.  These will also be a new, undefiled, fresh creation. 

As you will no doubt know, the Quran presents similitudes of a world that is as yet, unknown to humans. However, given explicit verses where it is mentioned that we will be a ‘new’ creation, earthly concepts of gender, physical attributes etc would arguably cease to apply in a spiritual world of the hereafter. I feel Quranic verses such as these are best understood with this context in mind.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell