Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Angels Asking Question and Punishment in the Grave

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Angels Asking Question and Punishment in the Grave
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Salaamun Alaikum Dear Br. Joseph,

Hope things are fine with you and your family, Insha'Allah.  Last night, I was reading your article about Azabe Qabr, Masha'Allah very well said and, surprisingly, it resonates with my reasoning that I have been discussing with my family and friends for quite some times, particularly, your final thoughts and "SOME QUESTIONS" were in complete agreement with my thoughts, Alhamdolillah, you and I have reached the same conclusion because our reasoning were based on Qur'an.  You have been doing great work and I pray to Allah (SWT) to continue blessing you with wisdom, knowledge, and good health and happiness, Amin.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/grave%20punishment%20FM3.htm

Last night, I was with some of my family members and the topic of death came up. Someone said "Angels of death" ask Two questions at the time of death.  The person couldn't recall the two questions but send me the following verse.

4:97

Yusuf Ali
When angels take the souls of those who die in sin against their souls, they say: "In what (plight) Were ye?" They reply: "Weak and oppressed Were we in the earth." They say: "Was not the earth of God spacious enough for you to move yourselves away (From evil)?" Such men will find their abode in Hell,- What an evil refuge! -
Pickthal
Lo! as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they wrong themselves, (the angels) will ask: In what were ye engaged ? They will say: We were oppressed in the land. (The angels) will say: Was not Allah's earth spacious that ye could have migrated therein ? As for such, their habitation will be hell, an evil journey's end;
Shakir
Surely (as for) those whom the angels cause to die while they are unjust to their souls, they shall say: In what state were you? They shall say: We were weak in the earth. They shall say: Was not Allah's earth spacious, so that you should have migrated therein? So these it is whose abode is hell, and it is an evil resort

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to read before and after verses to get the context but couldn't  get a solid understanding yet.  It seems that the conversation might be taking place at the time of death but the following verse 4:98 perplexes me. It appears it may have been on the day of judgement or it could be referring to a particular time and space?  I'd really appreciate your quick response. God bless...

Your brother in Islam

4:98

Yusuf Ali
Except those who are (really) weak and oppressed - men, women, and children - who have no means in their power, nor (a guide-post) to their way.
Pickthal
Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan and are not shown a way.
Shakir
Except the weak from among the men and the children who have not in their power the means nor can they find a way (to escape);

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Angels Asking Question and Punishment in the Grave
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
Wa alaikum assalam,

I would be inclined to entertain two possible views on this verse. The first one is that as the question is asked once the person dies (tawaffa) and thus enters a state that we only know as 'barzakh' where time as we perceive stops; the question is therefore asked during the next stage of one’s awakening.  This would be the Day of Resurrection / Reckoning.

The time from death and one’s awakening will only feel like a short moment as shared in my article that you mentioned.  Therefore, the question could be asked on the Day of Reckoning but before God has decided one’s fate.

However, as many Muslims believe in the concept of punishment in the grave, they naturally assume these questions are asked before the Day of Judgement.

The second possible answer from my humble perspective would be the short moment when death is upon us, just before we die when we possibly become aware of / perceive the entity entasked to take our soul (angel of death) and thus finally realise that death is upon us / imminent.  This can be argued given that the verse speaks about souls who are committing a wrong and it is that very wrong that they are questioned about by the angel of death.

This is further supported by verses such as 23:98-100 where whilst souls are being taken when they are committing wrong, questions are asked once again just before their death is complete and arguably before they are sent to ‘barzakh’.

023:098-100
"And I seek refuge in You, my Lord, lest they be present with me, Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: My Lord! Send me back, that I may do right in that which I have left behind! But nay (NO!)! Indeed, it is but a word that he speaks; and before them is a barrier until the day when they are raised"

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell